Model won't sign release document?

1 year 3 months ago #595358 by effron
Good stuff Aeros. Gary's never vitriolic, but he's passionate. The written word sometimes is too literal, but I don't think he was being combative..... (I fail more than he, me thinks....)

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 3 months ago #595387 by effron

Why so serious?
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #595412 by garyrhook

Aeros wrote: Thank you Gary for your response, I regret firing off my knee jerk reaction. Let's move forward with our new found understanding.:duel: ;)

No worries. I take some getting used to.

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #595429 by James L
Life lesson, get release document before paying a cent.  

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #595443 by effron

James L wrote: Life lesson, get release document before paying a cent.  

This could be the OP's most valuable learning experience, for certain....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #595569 by Overread
Aways get release first.  No questions.  Pay after.  

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #595833 by icepics
I've wondered sometimes if you guys realize how you come across...

Anyway I'm linking a couple of resources. I think the reason you can take someone's photo and slap it on your social media if you're so inclined is because that's considered editorial use and not for your financial gain.

If you use someone's image to market yourself or promote your photography business, that's using the image to help bring yourself more business; it's for your financial gain, and that's where I think you need the person's permission and a release signed.

www.asmp.org/releases/model-releases/feq...d-questions-release/

www.ppa.com/assets/documents/modelreleasewhitepaper.pdf

In this situation if it was this much trouble to try to get a model to sign a release I'd hardly use her photo, I hate to think how much trouble that could turn into! lol I'd rather not have a problem later and figure it was just as well to not have any photos of her; now you know what to do next time.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #595889 by Tony Imaging
Looks like you have your answer and unfortunately one of those life lessons too.

Glad it wasn't more!  

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #596024 by Prago
Next time, if they don't fill out the release, no pay.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #596088 by effron

Prago wrote: Next time, if they don't fill out the release, no pay.  

I'd have them sign a release before the hand shake.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

In this Panasonic G9 review, we take a look at its essential features, its build quality, compatible lenses, and other crucial details to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Nov 04, 2019

In this Canon EOS 7D Mark II review, we outline the pros and cons of this camera and identify whether it's still a good buy in 2019.

Oct 25, 2019

The Sony a9 might be a couple of years old now, but as we demonstrate in this Sony a9 review, it is still one of the best cameras in its class, particularly when it comes to its autofocus capabilities.

Oct 08, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by Sara Kurfeß on Unsplash 8 people have been trampled to death by elephants in 10 days in the West Bengal state of...

Nov 12, 2019

Using natural frames is a creative composition technique that results in a more creative and unique image. Learn how to implement natural frames in this quick landscape photography tutorial.

Nov 07, 2019

Hitting the road? Learn a few travel photography tips that will help you make the most of your journey, including key tips for earning money as you go!

Nov 07, 2019

With these essential videography tips, you'll learn how to shoot high-quality video footage, get impeccable audio quality, and tell a better story with varied shot selections.

Nov 07, 2019

This list of the top beginner cameras for 2019 includes DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, and compacts, all of which have excellent features and even better price tags!

Nov 06, 2019

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

Get your holiday shopping going with these top gifts for photographers under $150. From filters to lights to canvas prints, there's something for everyone!

Nov 05, 2019

Photo by Olivia Spink on Unsplash I can't be the only one that gets upset reading about trust fund babies traveling the world...

Nov 05, 2019