How to spin a lens around central axis of subject?

5 years 8 months ago #595506 by David Hutnik
I've seen some very cool spinning photos that seem to perfectly spin around an the center axis of an object.  

How is this being done?  Rather what I need to figure out is what bracket or how is the camera getting clamped down to permit such a perfect spinning effect?

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #595522 by fmw
Photo editing software.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #595553 by David Hutnik
I could have sworn that there was a bracket or some way of attaching the camera to something that could spin in perfect circles?

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #595554 by garyrhook
Without referencing an example image, it's not possible to say definitively whether something was done in post or not.

But if it looks like the image was sharp to begin with, it was probably software.

Why? What difference does it make how you use a gimmick like that? Perhaps you have an idea that requires this ability? Or is this an academic question?

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #595590 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: Without referencing an example image, it's not possible to say definitively whether something was done in post or not.

But if it looks like the image was sharp to begin with, it was probably software.

Why? What difference does it make how you use a gimmick like that? Perhaps you have an idea that requires this ability? Or is this an academic question?

He's asking how you do it and what do you use to do it with.
5 years 8 months ago #595591 by effron
Maybe a gimbel?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #595596 by Shadowfixer1
If you mean keeping the object in the center as you encircle it, look at this. You can get motorized ones also.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCZL4K0/ref=sspa_dk...&smid=A2BDCNUMWJ6AFM
5 years 8 months ago #595619 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Mate

I have done this with various lenses over the years - and it's a novelty & no big deal really

The lens needs to have a mid-point tripod clamp / mount - as found on many 70-200 & longer lenses - and during the exposure, you slowly rotate the entire camera + lens combo to create circular lines from the street lights or whatever it is in front of you

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 8 months ago #595757 by Conner
Use a gimbal with your lens mounted vertical and unlock the base and spin from the tripod connection.  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #595771 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If you mean keeping the object in the center as you encircle it, look at this. You can get motorized ones also.

I'm pretty sure that's not what he means, as that sort of device would be for video or a pano. Which wasn't mentioned.

My interpretation of the question is about the result you get when you apply a circular motion blur in post. Like this (linked to, not embedded):

But I could be mistaken. As always: if you want good answers, you have to ask good questions.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #595773 by effron

garyrhook wrote:  As always: if you want good answers, you have to ask good questions.

Yup, I'm still a bit unsure of what the OP wants as well....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #595795 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If you mean keeping the object in the center as you encircle it, look at this. You can get motorized ones also.

I'm pretty sure that's not what he means, as that sort of device would be for video or a pano. Which wasn't mentioned.

My interpretation of the question is about the result you get when you apply a circular motion blur in post. Like this (linked to, not embedded):Well if that's what they want the answer is simple. I thought they had a more complicated Idea than that.

But I could be mistaken. As always: if you want good answers, you have to ask good questions.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024