Good reason not to use home insurance for camera gear

5 years 7 months ago #599342 by Sawyer
A buddy of mine's home had a low income housing development sprout up less than a quarter mile from his home.  Within 10 months 4 of the homes including his were broken into.  He filed a claim the first time to cover loss items, which included his camera gear.  

Well last month his house was broken into again, his camera gear was stolen and this time, his home insurance isn't paying.  To make matters worse, because now he has 2 dings against his policy, his home owners insurance was canceled!!  

This is why I don't have my gear covered under such a policy.  Save your home insurance for big items, like fire or flood.  Get a specific policy for your expensive electronics and camera gear.  

What a crappy situation for him. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #599423 by Juan Anthony
OUCH, sounds like he needs to uproot his home to another area of town.  

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #599457 by garyrhook
Unfortunate that development has led to this situation for him.

Another reason to not use a rider on your homeowners insurance is that the deductible is usually 1%. That's a big number for most folks. A separate policy might cost a bit more, but will have a more reasonable deductible.

Finally, if equipment is used for business, it's usually not going to covered by a homeowners policy. That's usually personal use stuff, with riders for more expensive things (jewelry). It can be another reason for a claim being denied.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #599462 by Scott Klubeck
Is your friend in California?  I have friends that live in Tustin.  They bought a nice home a number of years ago when they were selling the Tustin District as a new luxury community.   When the community failed to attract as many luxury home buyers to increase foot traffic to the District, they built a number of low income apartment buildings in proximity of their home.  They haven't had any break ins, however they know of people who have.  Plus the home value was stunned by this development.  

It's a shame. 

Your friend should pick up a insurance product that is specific to photographers gear.  

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #599483 by Otto F
Damn that sucks

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #599683 by Peter Nunez
Have you friend get a photography gear specific policy with PPA, Package Choice or even Next Insurance.   

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #599759 by Roman Omell
www.hiscox.com/ is another one worth looking at

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600198 by Overread
Hiscox doesn't have a specific program for photographers? 

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600258 by Don Granger
Well that is a learning lesson.  Sorry to hear about your buddies lost gear.  

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600406 by effron
His insurance company sucks, mine doesn't. Its not a one size fits all. Also, if shooting professionally, homeowners usually won't cover gear.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600417 by Screamin Scott
Having worked in the Insurance field as an Underwriter, I doubt that his policy was canceled. More likely it was not renewed... State laws vary though so cancelation is possible.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600438 by effron

Screamin Scott wrote: Having worked in the Insurance field as an Underwriter, I doubt that his policy was canceled. More likely it was not renewed... State laws vary though so cancelation is possible.

Yup, and I thought about it a little after my post and I'd advise the claimant to NOT just take no for a final answer. Insurance companies routinely deny a first claim. Take it to the state insurance commissioner!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600677 by Meskill
Home insurance should be just that, the blanket coverage for your home and items.  If you have any amount of camera gear, get a policy from a company that specializes in this sort of coverage for photographers.  That way, your gear is covered.  And in many cases, rates will be lower as these companies focus on this segment of the market.  If you are looking at PPA insurance, make sure you get something beyond the free plan they have.  That is extremely limited.   

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600764 by effron

Meskill wrote: Home insurance should be just that, the blanket coverage for your home and items.  If you have any amount of camera gear, get a policy from a company that specializes in this sort of coverage for photographers.  That way, your gear is covered.  And in many cases, rates will be lower as these companies focus on this segment of the market.  If you are looking at PPA insurance, make sure you get something beyond the free plan they have.  That is extremely limited.   

That is fine if one is a "professional". Many or most specialized camera gear insurers won't cover amateurs, enthusiasts, etc. They can easily be covered by homeowners, renters and the like. One should make certain of coverage PRIOR to getting robbed, or having a fire or flood. My gear is itemized, and I update yearly.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #600774 by Troponin
Another option is to get a large safe. Keep the camera in it whenever you’re not using it/home.

I bought the largest I could afford and keep all firearms, documents, camera and lenses etc in mine. 

This can also help with fire, and if you buy a nicer one, from flooding, for so varying times 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024