Customer wants discount for ordering 80 of same image, how much off?

5 years 6 months ago #601180 by Jennifer Krueger
I just shoot a maternity and newborn session and normally will charge $17 for a 5x7 print.  My clients mother wants to buy 80 of one particular image.  What would you discount for this size of quantity?  

I originally said that I don't give discounts, and she wasn't very happy about that.  So I would like to come back with something for them, seeing that there is other work coming from them in 2 months.  

What would you do here?  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #601182 by effron
Are you getting a discount on your supplies? I wouldn't offer any, but that's me. If you can kick a percentage off and still be happy with the profit left, only you can make that call....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #601189 by Jennifer Krueger
Exactly.  I don't get discount, so my profit margin doesn't make a difference if they order 1 or 100 prints.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #601202 by Nikon Shooter
My approach is that the price of the first picture is included
in the job price — that I typically count for much more than
17.00$. Additional copies will go at a lower price depending
on the quantity. For the extra 79 5x7, I would charge 8$ each.

As such as the quality of you work and even more, the way you
conduct your business will influence your next job.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #601315 by Sandy Smith Photos
I'm pretty much the same.  My packages include 1 5x7" print of 5 or 10 favorite shots selected by client. When they want extras, I have a sliding scale that I work from.  79 shots would be priced at $7.75 for each.  In this case, I would even let them know that my next price break occurs at 100 prints and see if they would want to bump up their order.  Cost per 5x7" print at that time jumps down to $5.75 each

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #601980 by garyrhook
$17 is very inexpensive. One assumes there was a sitting fee. One hopes.

At your price point, 80 prints would run $1360. Your printing cost shouldn't be any more than $160, assuming you order from a lab. Give or take.

I think you have room for an attractive discount and still have a healthy margin. Just IMHO. 

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #602108 by Richard Taylor
Yep, I was going to say the same.  You have enough room to back out a nice discount, AND you might have opportunity to up sell them into another product by getting on their good side.   

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024