Software for finding your photos that people have taken without permission?

5 years 6 months ago #601918 by Crammer
I hate uploading photos online, mainly because you never know who is going to rip off your photos.  Is there an software or something that will scan the web for your photos and if so, how accurate is it? 

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #601923 by effron
www.tineye.com
Do a search for some others....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #601948 by fmw
If you don't want people to rip off your images, don't put them on the internet.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #601970 by Nikon Shooter

fmw wrote: If you don't want people to rip off your images, don't put them on the internet.

:agree:

Yes, it is that simple.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #601971 by garyrhook
Surprisingly, it is very simple. Don't post.

That said, the likelihood of someone misappropriating your images is small. You can make it less rewarding by using smaller image sizes and a lower (jpg) quality. And be selective about what you post. 

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #602130 by Francis
I had signed up with Copypants a few years ago, and was going to recommend them, however I just noticed they are no longer in business.  Whoops on that one!  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #602149 by icepics
I've used Tineye; nothing turned up! Think about where and why you're posting. Look at Terms & Conditions to make sure the site doesn't allow for site ownership or other site users to take/use your photos.

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #602192 by Karen Comella
Shame about Copypants, was surprised that they closed shop.  :( 

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #602199 by Alfonso Camil
So what happens when you do find someone that has used your photos for commercial purpose.  Will the determine value based on the reach and usage of photo?

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #602219 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day All

I have been thru this mental dilemma via my Flickr site ... and decided early on for two things -
a) images would be downsized to 800px on the long side and around 200kb max ... so using PSE I am lowering JPG quality down and down till I get the 200kb size, and
b) anything that I think could interest others, is watermarked with a reasonable sized text

As most of my stuff is 'general happy snaps for me and my family' I cannot see that someone would steal an image and try to make something of it. Certainly not with the pixel size I post at

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 6 months ago #602266 by Vahrenkamp

effron wrote: www.tineye.com

I have used this one as well.  Just wish they would have something a little more automated and a team of mean dogs to go after the violators!  

Mahalo

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #603017 by Glen Mosley
tineye.com is going to be a good option for you.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #603067 by effron

Vahrenkamp wrote:

effron wrote: www.tineye.com

I have used this one as well.  Just wish they would have something a little more automated and a team of mean dogs to go after the violators!  

Mahalo

Until it becomes a per pay service don't expect too much. (even one mean dog would be nice)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #603108 by Nefarious
WOW, seems like a lot of work to keep on top of this.  You would expect there was way to automate it.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024