Software for finding your photos that people have taken without permission?

5 years 7 months ago #601918 by Crammer
I hate uploading photos online, mainly because you never know who is going to rip off your photos.  Is there an software or something that will scan the web for your photos and if so, how accurate is it? 

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #601923 by effron
www.tineye.com
Do a search for some others....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #601948 by fmw
If you don't want people to rip off your images, don't put them on the internet.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #601970 by Nikon Shooter

fmw wrote: If you don't want people to rip off your images, don't put them on the internet.

:agree:

Yes, it is that simple.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #601971 by garyrhook
Surprisingly, it is very simple. Don't post.

That said, the likelihood of someone misappropriating your images is small. You can make it less rewarding by using smaller image sizes and a lower (jpg) quality. And be selective about what you post. 

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602130 by Francis
I had signed up with Copypants a few years ago, and was going to recommend them, however I just noticed they are no longer in business.  Whoops on that one!  

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602149 by icepics
I've used Tineye; nothing turned up! Think about where and why you're posting. Look at Terms & Conditions to make sure the site doesn't allow for site ownership or other site users to take/use your photos.

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602192 by Karen Comella
Shame about Copypants, was surprised that they closed shop.  :( 

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602199 by Alfonso Camil
So what happens when you do find someone that has used your photos for commercial purpose.  Will the determine value based on the reach and usage of photo?

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602219 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day All

I have been thru this mental dilemma via my Flickr site ... and decided early on for two things -
a) images would be downsized to 800px on the long side and around 200kb max ... so using PSE I am lowering JPG quality down and down till I get the 200kb size, and
b) anything that I think could interest others, is watermarked with a reasonable sized text

As most of my stuff is 'general happy snaps for me and my family' I cannot see that someone would steal an image and try to make something of it. Certainly not with the pixel size I post at

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 7 months ago #602266 by Vahrenkamp

effron wrote: www.tineye.com

I have used this one as well.  Just wish they would have something a little more automated and a team of mean dogs to go after the violators!  

Mahalo

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603017 by Glen Mosley
tineye.com is going to be a good option for you.  

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603067 by effron

Vahrenkamp wrote:

effron wrote: www.tineye.com

I have used this one as well.  Just wish they would have something a little more automated and a team of mean dogs to go after the violators!  

Mahalo

Until it becomes a per pay service don't expect too much. (even one mean dog would be nice)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603108 by Nefarious
WOW, seems like a lot of work to keep on top of this.  You would expect there was way to automate it.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024