Software for finding your photos that people have taken without permission?

11 months 2 weeks ago #601918 by Crammer
I hate uploading photos online, mainly because you never know who is going to rip off your photos.  Is there an software or something that will scan the web for your photos and if so, how accurate is it? 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 2 weeks ago #601923 by effron
www.tineye.com
Do a search for some others....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

11 months 2 weeks ago #601948 by fmw
If you don't want people to rip off your images, don't put them on the internet.

Photo Comments

11 months 2 weeks ago #601970 by Nikon Shooter

fmw wrote: If you don't want people to rip off your images, don't put them on the internet.

:agree:

Yes, it is that simple.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

11 months 2 weeks ago #601971 by garyrhook
Surprisingly, it is very simple. Don't post.

That said, the likelihood of someone misappropriating your images is small. You can make it less rewarding by using smaller image sizes and a lower (jpg) quality. And be selective about what you post. 

Photo Comments

11 months 2 weeks ago #602130 by Francis
I had signed up with Copypants a few years ago, and was going to recommend them, however I just noticed they are no longer in business.  Whoops on that one!  

Photo Comments

11 months 2 weeks ago #602149 by icepics
I've used Tineye; nothing turned up! Think about where and why you're posting. Look at Terms & Conditions to make sure the site doesn't allow for site ownership or other site users to take/use your photos.

Sharon
Photo Comments

11 months 2 weeks ago #602192 by Karen Comella
Shame about Copypants, was surprised that they closed shop.  :( 

Photo Comments

11 months 2 weeks ago #602199 by Alfonso Camil
So what happens when you do find someone that has used your photos for commercial purpose.  Will the determine value based on the reach and usage of photo?

Photo Comments

11 months 2 weeks ago #602219 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day All

I have been thru this mental dilemma via my Flickr site ... and decided early on for two things -
a) images would be downsized to 800px on the long side and around 200kb max ... so using PSE I am lowering JPG quality down and down till I get the 200kb size, and
b) anything that I think could interest others, is watermarked with a reasonable sized text

As most of my stuff is 'general happy snaps for me and my family' I cannot see that someone would steal an image and try to make something of it. Certainly not with the pixel size I post at

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

11 months 2 weeks ago #602266 by Vahrenkamp

effron wrote: www.tineye.com

I have used this one as well.  Just wish they would have something a little more automated and a team of mean dogs to go after the violators!  

Mahalo

Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #603017 by Glen Mosley
tineye.com is going to be a good option for you.  

Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #603067 by effron

Vahrenkamp wrote:

effron wrote: www.tineye.com

I have used this one as well.  Just wish they would have something a little more automated and a team of mean dogs to go after the violators!  

Mahalo

Until it becomes a per pay service don't expect too much. (even one mean dog would be nice)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #603108 by Nefarious
WOW, seems like a lot of work to keep on top of this.  You would expect there was way to automate it.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X100F review, learn about its essential features and specs, its pros and cons, and where you can pick one up for a great price.

Aug 16, 2019

The Nikon D500 might be several years old, but it's still a highly capable camera. In this Nikon D500 review, learn why it's still a good investment in 2019.

Aug 16, 2019

In this Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S review, learn about its specs, features, build quality, handling, price, and more.

Aug 13, 2019

The Fujifilm X-T2 might be three years old, but it's still a highly capable camera with specs and features that will suit just about any photographer in 2019.

Aug 12, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With a big budget, there's no end to what you can give your favorite photographer this holiday season. See what some of the best gifts for photographers under $2,500 are in 2019!

Aug 20, 2019

Using a vintage lens with a modern camera is a fun exercise, and can teach you a lot. But before you buy a vintage lens, be sure you know what you're getting yourself into...

Aug 19, 2019

By Teichnor Bros., Boston - eBayfrontback, Public Domain "It wasn't the first time he utilized a couple of bottles of scotch to get into an area that...

Aug 18, 2019

Photo by Jesse Mills on Unsplash It is easy for us to forget that 9/11 is still claiming lives almost 2 decades later. It is...

Aug 17, 2019

In this Fujifilm X100F review, learn about its essential features and specs, its pros and cons, and where you can pick one up for a great price.

Aug 16, 2019

The Nikon D500 might be several years old, but it's still a highly capable camera. In this Nikon D500 review, learn why it's still a good investment in 2019.

Aug 16, 2019

The holidays might be a few months away, but it's never to late to start getting ideas for the photographer on your list. These gifts for photographers under $50 will do the trick!

Aug 15, 2019

In this camera tripod buyers guide, learn which tripods are the best of the bunch at various price points from under $100 to over $1,000.

Aug 15, 2019