Mother to be won't sign contract

11 months 1 week ago #601954 by Sassy Girl
Well this is a first.  I just met up with a mother to be and her husband.  They loved my portfolio and verbally were saying they loved my work, they were excited for me to do the shoot.  They were OK with the pricing.  Then when I said I would email me them the contract for them to sign, the wife blows up and says she didn't want to sign any contracts for "just getting some pictures"  it "seems a little overkill, we aren't buying a car or house here".  

:huh:

OOOOOK.  Well that is a first.  For a job that is half paid upfront and half paid BEFORE photos are given, are there any down falls then? 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 1 week ago #601956 by effron
There could be, of course.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #601962 by Jessa Layton
Plenty of things could happen!

For one, they could for some random reason cancel the job close to your scheduled date and you can't realistically place another client in that slot - lost $$.

Then what if the client doesn't like the photos?

Are they going to bail on paying you?  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics

11 months 1 week ago #601968 by Sassy Girl
Hmmm, I might need to think about this further.  This could get dangerous.  

Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #601973 by garyrhook
"Dangerous?" Seems a bit extreme. And nothing pointed out above has anything to do with just this couple. These are the hazards of this business.

Your job is to educate your potential client on the  value of a contract, to both them and you.  And why threes a release form in it. And how it protects them regarding your performance and commitments.

If they didn't care to execute their part of the business relationship, fine. They aren't your client. Move along.

It's simple: this is how you run your business. They can choose to go elsewhere, no harm, no foul.

Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #602126 by Francis
I'd just walk on this one.  This could get sloppy and become a PITA for you.  Most will have no problem signing a contract.  If she is giving you a hard time with out seeing it, that could be a huge problem.  

Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #602147 by icepics
Explain/describe it, offer to send a copy for her to review, provide an opportunity for her to ask questions, offer resources she can look at that explains standard practice in portrait photography, etc. Interacting with people is part of the job so learn techniques in how to do this.

It's your policy/procedure, if she doesn't want to sign it then suggest where she could find another person with a camera. She might do some looking and end up coming back if you handle this well (don't burn bridges).

Sharon
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S review, learn about its specs, features, build quality, handling, price, and more.

Aug 13, 2019

The Fujifilm X-T2 might be three years old, but it's still a highly capable camera with specs and features that will suit just about any photographer in 2019.

Aug 12, 2019

The upcoming Sony RX100 VII is hotly anticipated because of the success of its predecessors. The question is, it live up to the hype? Find out in this Sony RX100 VII review.

Aug 01, 2019

It's been over a decade since the Canon 5D Mark II was released, and yet it's still a fantastic camera. Learn about the Canon 5D Mark II features, specs, price and more in this review.

Jul 24, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by Jesse Mills on Unsplash It is easy for us to forget that 9/11 is still claiming lives almost 2 decades later. It is...

Aug 17, 2019

The holidays might be a few months away, but it's never to late to start getting ideas for the photographer on your list. These gifts for photographers under $50 will do the trick!

Aug 15, 2019

In this camera tripod buyers guide, learn which tripods are the best of the bunch at various price points from under $100 to over $1,000.

Aug 15, 2019

Not sure how to grow your photography business? With these simple photography business tips, learn how you can step up your marketing game.

Aug 14, 2019

Whether you're taking still photos or videos, high-quality light is a must. This list of the best photography lighting equipment represents some of the best lights in the business.

Aug 14, 2019

Screenshot from News 4 Tucson YouTube video Jamie Bisceglia is a hero in my book. The woman was recently taken to a hospital after being bitten by an...

Aug 13, 2019

In this Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S review, learn about its specs, features, build quality, handling, price, and more.

Aug 13, 2019

The Sony a6500 replacement is on the way! Find out what the rumored specs are and when you might be able to find one on a store shelf near you.

Aug 13, 2019