As a pro photographer will you take your pro gear on vacation?

5 years 7 months ago #604498 by J Hemingway
We just got back from traveling to my wife's family up east and I brought my gear with me of course.  However like many of my vacations, I didn't use much more than my iPhone.  I know how that sounds.  Actually I'm thinking about if I should even bring my gear next time.  Keep it home and save my back and arms from carrying it around.  

When you travel, do you bring all your pro gear?

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604539 by effron
I don't shoot for pay any more, but when I did my gear went everywhere I went, even on vacation.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604613 by Ben Vanderbilt
I bring partial of my full bag of gear.  Then again it really depends on where I'm going.  Usually it's just one body and a few lenses at most.  I tend not to bring much lighting gear with me.  

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604630 by garyrhook
My vacations now always involve photography. I always take something with me.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604633 by Nikon Shooter
I never leave home without it… if I don't shoot for a client,
I will not ignore my own interests and passion.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604674 by Rick Larin
I always bring my gear with me.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604677 by John Landolfi
I have always brought equipment that would allow me to achieve high quality. But, with airlines sometimes enforcing weight or quantity restrictions for carry-on luggage, I leave the D3s and the f/2.8 trinity behind, and take a smaller kit, D7100- based, and I acquired a mirrorless which allows me to use some of my old but great Nikkors Ais, and that makes it a lot easier without sacrificing too much.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604706 by Marin Chi
I'll usually bring my 18-200mm and call it a day.  I have a smaller camera bag I bring for traveling.  For me, seeing that I'll be doing a lot of walking around, weight is a big deal.  

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604734 by Remy Hedrick
As a photographer, (not pro yet), I still will bring most my stuff with me when traveling.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604874 by ThatNikonGuy
My gear doesn't leave my side or at least where it's a short walk away.  On trips, I do leave the big glass home though. 

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604950 by Stanly
 A lot of factors to this one. Mainly where I’m going, how far away is it. How much walking we plan to do there. I don’t like to leave gear in the hotel room even in the safes. So I only bring what I know I’m going to absolutely use. 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604976 by Ian Stone

Stanly wrote:  A lot of factors to this one. Mainly where I’m going, how far away is it. How much walking we plan to do there. I don’t like to leave gear in the hotel room even in the safes. So I only bring what I know I’m going to absolutely use. 

:agree: such a good point about leaving things in the hotel room.  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 7 months ago #605117 by Jessa Layton
Never leave gear in the hotel room.  Bring only what you feel like carrying with you.  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 7 months ago #605126 by fmw
Back in my pro days I usually carried a Leica rangefinder with a 50mm lens when on vacation.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #605138 by Scotty
Lately I haven't.  My honeymoon is next week and I'll be taking it there though.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024