Whats your go-to camera and lens?

5 years 6 months ago #605423 by Nixmalik
Lets go back to basics and talk about the 2 most important photography tools.

The ones I use a lot are the Canon EOS 77D and Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L ii USM / 50mm F/1.2L USM

The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 6 months ago #605426 by effron
I use my D7100 and 300 f/4 most, but its not my best combo.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #605447 by Nixmalik
what sort of work do you do?

5 years 6 months ago #605473 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

Sorry to go against the grain here ... but your two most important photography tools are a) your eyes and b) your imagination followed by c) your experience level and d) some sort of idea as to the final result you may be aiming for

After all that comes the lens and the optical image / perspective from that lens and then the exposure / shutter (freeze motion / show motion) + Depth of Field or not ... long before you get to the mechanical device that goes 'klunk'

ps: btw- I do understand where you're coming from with the question

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #605478 by Nixmalik
this right here is the exact reason why I'm not a people person

p.s. keeping in mind that I am open to philosophical ambiguity, but the question even after all that is, how far do you think you'll get without a device that goes "klunk"?!

But hey thanks for calling me dumb, unimaginative and having no idea of what I'm doing/talking about whatsoever

5 years 6 months ago #605497 by garyrhook

Nixmalik wrote: this right here is the exact reason why I'm not a people person

p.s. keeping in mind that I am open to philosophical ambiguity, but the question even after all that is, how far do you think you'll get without a device that goes "klunk"?!

But hey thanks for calling me dumb, unimaginative and having no idea of what I'm doing/talking about whatsoever

It's not clear to me that there were any apersions cast, but one does wonder about the value of answering a completely different question than what was asked.

For me, I have one camera and a selection of lenses. I use a Nikon system, and my usual lens is a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 or a Nikon 85 f/1.8. The zoom is what is usually on my camera as I know it will come through for me a great deal of the time.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #605538 by effron

Nixmalik wrote: what sort of work do you do?

No work any more, just shoot when I feel like it....Landscape, macro, wildlife.
D800, 16-35 f/4, 24-70 f/2.8 and 20 f/1.8 are my preferred gear, just a bit heavy these days.

I like your earlier response too....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #605575 by NewavaMike

Nixmalik wrote: this right here is the exact reason why I'm not a people person

I understood you.  I'm sure everyone understood you.  Phil was just making sure the foundation was in place :) 

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #605582 by Baydream
Often my walk-around combo is the Canon 70D with the 18-200mm. That said, I change depending on what I am shooting. This week it was a Canon 5DmkIII with a Sigma 90mm macro capturing the last wildflowers on the season. For wildlife, I use either camera with a Canon 100-400 or Sigma 150-600. I usually have the other body with a wider lens in the case.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024