Circumstances you work with no contract?

5 years 6 months ago #608084 by Crammer
I pretty much always use a contract, even if my mother wanted to hire me, she'll get a contract.  Over the years I've lost clients because they didn't like my contract or the idea of contracts for "only photos".

I have a corporate client, well a prospect rather, that I would REALLY want as a client.  They have reached out to me, I quoted them.  Both parties are excited about doing business, and they said "let's see how this first job works out, then we can formalize things with contracts for moving forward".

Would you risk it, and do the first gig with no contract? 

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608143 by effron
I used to work on a handshake, a verbal contract. Things are different now and I would definitely make a contract if I was to do any work for pay these days.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608149 by Overread
 Tempting, nearly all other circumstances I would only work with a contract. In this case, if I felt there was a lot more future business. I think I would likely go for it. 

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608197 by garyrhook
You haven't provided enough information. You have terms of delivery and payment that you're happy with? You have witnesses? You have clearly laid out terms and procedures and garnered agreement? Will you have to deliver images before you get paid? How will you get paid? Net 30? Net 90? What if they take delivery then decide they don't really like them and don't pay you? Then use them anyway? What guarantee do you have for terms of usage and licensing if they won't agree to a contract?

If you're willing to walk away, with nothing but experience when all is said and done, by all means, work without a contract.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608201 by Ivy Winchell
Gary's final statement pretty much sums it up: "If you're willing to walk away, with nothing but experience when all is said and done, by all means, work without a contract."

It's all about weighing risk to potential business in the future.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608302 by Photo Junky
It's like jumping into a rodeo with out any clowns, you know they aren't there to save your butt, so if you jump in, you are doing so at your own risk.  Same thing applies with your situation.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608381 by icepics
If this is a corporate client, it doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't want to contract with you and get it in writing. The contract is for the benefit of both you and the client. What if they hire someone else and the person with the camera never shows up or never provides the work (the photos)? A contract would cover that so it's to their advantage to have a contract, as well as for your benefit to have payment and usage specified. 

This 'let's see how this works out' is nonsense. If they like your work, they can hire you for future jobs. If not, they can go look elsewhere. But I can't see doing a lot of work and putting time into it and providing photos without payment and a contract on the hope of future work (which may never pan out and you did it all for nothing).

Photographers often set up a password protected gallery for clients to view and choose photos. But for corporate work? there should be a contract to license usage and you need to find out what they need and provide the finished product (photos ready for use).

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608434 by Ted Helm

icepics wrote: If this is a corporate client, it doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't want to contract with you and get it in writing. The contract is for the benefit of both you and the client. What if they hire someone else and the person with the camera never shows up or never provides the work (the photos)? A contract would cover that so it's to their advantage to have a contract, as well as for your benefit to have payment and usage specified. 

This 'let's see how this works out' is nonsense. If they like your work, they can hire you for future jobs. If not, they can go look elsewhere. But I can't see doing a lot of work and putting time into it and providing photos without payment and a contract on the hope of future work (which may never pan out and you did it all for nothing).

Photographers often set up a password protected gallery for clients to view and choose photos. But for corporate work? there should be a contract to license usage and you need to find out what they need and provide the finished product (photos ready for use).

I've had corporate clients that didn't want contracts, they are rare and few, but I've been asked before.  Usually it's the small company before the contract is there to protect both sides.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608443 by fmw

Crammer wrote: I pretty much always use a contract, even if my mother wanted to hire me, she'll get a contract.  Over the years I've lost clients because they didn't like my contract or the idea of contracts for "only photos".

I have a corporate client, well a prospect rather, that I would REALLY want as a client.  They have reached out to me, I quoted them.  Both parties are excited about doing business, and they said "let's see how this first job works out, then we can formalize things with contracts for moving forward".

Would you risk it, and do the first gig with no contract? 

Of course.  Ask them to provide a purchase order that lists your rates.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608580 by Jackson Rieger
I never will take a job with out a contract.  Been there and done that.  Get burned once and you learn really fast.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608665 by MM Images
Sure and while at it, let's jump out of an airplane with something that looks like a parachute, who knows it might be a ordinary backpack.  There may be something in there that allows me to float to the ground safely, there might be someones geometry homework.  

Seriously, ALWAYS have a contract. It provides a clear blue print and protection for both parties.  Did they let you know why they don't want to do contract?

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608761 by Dave Burburry
There are no times I would work with out a contract.  Simple as that.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024