How long do you spend at each location when traveling before moving on?

5 years 6 months ago #609788 by Ben Vanderbilt
I've always been a hurry up and let's move on to the next spot sort of person.  And when you travel to another country to photograph it, and you are trying to cram in as much as you can, it can be hard to stick around to find those unique spins on iconic shots.  Yet when you get home, you always seem to come across a "damn, I should have tried that spot" photo somewhere online.  

Keeping that in mind, so that you can see the direction I was going with.  When you plan trips, how much time are you spending at each location before moving onto the next landmark or town?

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #609795 by effron
It depends, and I rarely factor in time. You never know what light you'll be given, crowds at popular spots, etc. I like to play it as it happens, myself.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 6 months ago #609825 by Richard K Photography
Depends on where I'm at and how much time I'll be traveling for.  It's easier when I'm on a workshop, as I move with the flow.  When out solo, it's till I find that perfect shot (hopefully).  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #609843 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ben

This is one of those "impossibles because we're all different" - if on a commercial tour, you do not get enough time for anything much, so you grab what you can. If you're on holidays and therefore have some sort of travel schedule, you need to stick to it coz 'the boss' or the kiddiewinks will start to grizzle

For me, now retired and over 70, I motorhome tour Oz for 280-300 days every year, and if I want to stay for a few days or a week, then I can sit a while :)

It'll come to you too in a few years time !!

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 6 months ago #609853 by Joslyn
However long that I need.  But as many have stated, there are so many moving parts to this.  It kinds of reminds me of sitting at a slot machine, you keep thinking the next pull (shot) could be the one.  But then there are times when you just got to get up and just move to the next spot.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #609886 by Karen Comella
Depends on if I believe there is a shot there for me to get.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610042 by Don Granger

Joslyn wrote: However long that I need.  But as many have stated, there are so many moving parts to this.  It kinds of reminds me of sitting at a slot machine, you keep thinking the next pull (shot) could be the one.  But then there are times when you just got to get up and just move to the next spot.  

+1

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610077 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ben

This item could also be extended to "how often do you return to the same site trying to get 'the perfect' picture?

I have a specific sunrise shot that I have been after for 3-4 years now - last year I got up an hour before sunrise every day for 6 weeks to go to "the spot" and I never captured the image that I saw in my mind's eye

Sometimes it-just ain't-gunna-happen

5 years 6 months ago #610099 by garyrhook
Precisely as long as is necessary. Neither more, but sometimes less, than is required.

I was just reading a post on jkputnam.com (a discovery while on vacation last week) and he was discussing this very issue. You stay or return until you get what you need/want. That can take a long time.

I prefer to be out alone so as not to have to worry about others. My biggest challenge is just the clock. Not enough time, ever.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024