FX and crop V's DX mode

1 year 8 months ago #609933 by tgkelly
I will be going on a trip next year and going over the gear i need. I have the Nikon 70-200 F4 I was planning to take. Problem is for one
particular shoot it that will be in low light it might be a little short
on focal length. My thought was to use the DX mode but unsure the
effects to noise it would have. I shoot with a D750 which normally
handles noise pretty well just looking to see if anyone has any
experience shooting in low light in crop mode.

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 8 months ago #609946 by Nikon Shooter

tgkelly wrote: Ijust looking to see if anyone has any experience shooting in low light in crop mode.

Some students use DX cameras (that solves in no way focal length
limitations, btw!) in low light situations with good results if we are
talking a bout recent models but a FX will always do better for the
same pixel count in both formats — because the pixels are larger.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 year 8 months ago #609973 by Shadowfixer1
It doesn't matter about the crop mode. It's the same sensor with the same signal to noise ratio. DX mode is no different than cropping to the same size in post. It has no effect on the noise in the image. The noise for that camera will be the same whether shot in FX or DX. You will make the noise that's there more visible because you will increase the image size to normal but that is the same as if you crop it in post. No difference. 

1 year 8 months ago #609975 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: It doesn't matter about the crop mode. It's the same sensor with the same signal to noise ratio. DX mode is no different than cropping to the same size in post. It has no effect on the noise in the image. The noise for that camera will be the same whether shot in FX or DX. You will make the noise that's there more visible because you will increase the image size to normal but that is the same as if you crop it in post. No difference. 

This

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

1 year 8 months ago #610056 by garyrhook
+1 on the above. There is never any reason to use DX mode. Just shoot FX, even with DX lenses, and crop in post. You might get some part of the image that will be of value with a non-typical crop.

If you need more reach rent a 70-300 lens. They're quite nice, although variable aperture. For low-light, you're pretty much at the limit of what a reasonable lens can provide. They make an f/2.8 300 and 400, if you want to rent one of those.

The D750 handles noise up to 12,800 just fine. Worst case, B&W conversions and add grain. That's what I do, and I've gotten usable images at ISO 25K.

Photo Comments

1 year 8 months ago #610142 by tgkelly
Thanks everyone, I don't want to buy another lens I do have the 28-300 but isn't very good in lower light. I think I will get better results with the 70-200F4 and crop as needed.
Thanks again

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best camera bags of 2020 include big backpacks, small sling bags, and many variations in between. Which of these top camera bags is for you? Find out!

Jul 09, 2020

The best stock photo sites pay well for your images, are easy to sign up, and offer tools and solutions to help you streamline your stock photography business. These sites are among the best.

Jul 09, 2020

If you're looking for unique canvas prints, look no further than metallic canvas! These prints are beautiful, iridescent, and have superior, eye-catching color.

Jul 09, 2020

Canon unveiled the Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 this morning. Both cameras look to be game-changers for Canon, and both will ship soon!

Jul 09, 2020

Not sure how to increase your photography income? Use these business tips to make more money as a photographer!

Jul 08, 2020

Is there really a reason to have a filter kit for landscape photography these days? Lightroom is all-powerful, right? Wrong...there are lots of reasons to have lens filters.

Jul 08, 2020

The H&Y RevoRing is a revolutionary new variable step ring that will save you money, time, and space in your camera bag!

Jul 08, 2020

The wedding album is an important vessel for the photographs you take. With these tips for creating a wedding album, make something that will impress your clients and give them long-lasting memories.

Jul 07, 2020