Death Valley bearable this time of year for night photography?

5 years 6 months ago #610311 by Kyle O
When does Death Valley become bearable from a temperature standpoint?  I'm very temperature sensitive and don't do well with extreme heat.  

Also is the Milky Way visible there this time of year too?  

Thank you guys

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610314 by garyrhook
You can use an app to determine when the good part of the Milky Way is visible, but basically you're at the tail end of the prime time, I think.

As for temperature, I'd suggest spring (March). The Milky Way shows up in the early morning hours, I think. The NPS has info about Death Valley here:

www.nps.gov/deva/learn/nature/weather-and-climate.htm

And a lot depends upon altitude and time of day.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610320 by Tim Burg
Looks like in a few weeks it should start to be really nice there

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #610328 by effron
Bearable, but the Milky Way "core" is nearly gone until March or so, for us northern hemisphere dwellers....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610430 by Farestad
All correct above, you'll want to get as close as you can to March.  You'll have a small window before the weather starts getting hot there again. 

This link might help you out:   www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610471 by Cara Wilkins
Oh my, that gets HOT there!

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610479 by fmw
One of my favorite photographic venues.  Weather there is outstanding in November so now is good.  My shooting there has been daytime, sunset or dusk.  I have no advice about shooting the galaxy.  Have fun.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #610510 by effron

Cara Wilkins wrote: Oh my, that gets HOT there!

The last time I was there it was late August the day temps were around 110f, but the nights weren't too bad, actually enjoyable. I'm guessing around ninety, but much cooler by morning.
Its a lot about acclimation too.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610530 by Steve Zahra
Photographing the moving rocks is on my photography bucket list.  Speaking of which, how accessible is this location?

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610532 by Steve Zahra

fmw wrote: One of my favorite photographic venues.  Weather there is outstanding in November so now is good.  My shooting there has been daytime, sunset or dusk.  I have no advice about shooting the galaxy.  Have fun.

Love the colors here!! 

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610581 by fmw

Steve Zahra wrote:
Love the colors here!! 

So do I.  And there are colors all over this desert.  It is a very interesting place.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 6 months ago #610719 by Nancy Hait

fmw wrote: One of my favorite photographic venues.  Weather there is outstanding in November so now is good.  My shooting there has been daytime, sunset or dusk.  I have no advice about shooting the galaxy.  Have fun.

Beautiful!  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610943 by Pettigrew
January will be your best bet

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611097 by Ben Vanderbilt
Very good clip on photographing Dealth Valley, I like this guys work.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611442 by Prago
You this guy makes some good points, most will want to go wide while here.  But you can't over look the zoom lens opportunities.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024