Death Valley bearable this time of year for night photography?

1 year 3 months ago #610311 by Kyle O
When does Death Valley become bearable from a temperature standpoint?  I'm very temperature sensitive and don't do well with extreme heat.  

Also is the Milky Way visible there this time of year too?  

Thank you guys

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 3 months ago #610314 by garyrhook
You can use an app to determine when the good part of the Milky Way is visible, but basically you're at the tail end of the prime time, I think.

As for temperature, I'd suggest spring (March). The Milky Way shows up in the early morning hours, I think. The NPS has info about Death Valley here:

www.nps.gov/deva/learn/nature/weather-and-climate.htm

And a lot depends upon altitude and time of day.

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #610320 by Tim Burg
Looks like in a few weeks it should start to be really nice there

Photo Comments
Attachments:

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #610328 by effron
Bearable, but the Milky Way "core" is nearly gone until March or so, for us northern hemisphere dwellers....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #610430 by Farestad
All correct above, you'll want to get as close as you can to March.  You'll have a small window before the weather starts getting hot there again. 

This link might help you out:   www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #610471 by Cara Wilkins
Oh my, that gets HOT there!

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #610479 by fmw
One of my favorite photographic venues.  Weather there is outstanding in November so now is good.  My shooting there has been daytime, sunset or dusk.  I have no advice about shooting the galaxy.  Have fun.

Photo Comments
Attachments:

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #610510 by effron

Cara Wilkins wrote: Oh my, that gets HOT there!

The last time I was there it was late August the day temps were around 110f, but the nights weren't too bad, actually enjoyable. I'm guessing around ninety, but much cooler by morning.
Its a lot about acclimation too.

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #610530 by Steve Zahra
Photographing the moving rocks is on my photography bucket list.  Speaking of which, how accessible is this location?

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #610532 by Steve Zahra

fmw wrote: One of my favorite photographic venues.  Weather there is outstanding in November so now is good.  My shooting there has been daytime, sunset or dusk.  I have no advice about shooting the galaxy.  Have fun.

Love the colors here!! 

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #610581 by fmw

Steve Zahra wrote:
Love the colors here!! 

So do I.  And there are colors all over this desert.  It is a very interesting place.

Photo Comments
Attachments:

1 year 3 months ago #610719 by Nancy Hait

fmw wrote: One of my favorite photographic venues.  Weather there is outstanding in November so now is good.  My shooting there has been daytime, sunset or dusk.  I have no advice about shooting the galaxy.  Have fun.

Beautiful!  

Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #610943 by Pettigrew
January will be your best bet

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #611097 by Ben Vanderbilt
Very good clip on photographing Dealth Valley, I like this guys work.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #611442 by Prago
You this guy makes some good points, most will want to go wide while here.  But you can't over look the zoom lens opportunities.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony a7 III vs Nikon D500 head-to-head battle, find out which camera best suits your needs for still photography and video (and your budget, too).

Jan 09, 2020

The Panasonic GH4 might be going on six years old, but it still packs a punch, even in 2020. Learn about all the specs and features of this camera in our Panasonic GH4 review.

Dec 31, 2019

If you have your eye on a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, check out its specs, pricing, and availability to be sure you get the best deal.

Dec 26, 2019

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not sure how to earn more money as a photographer? With these photography business tips, learn how to boost your photography income and improve your bottom line.

Jan 16, 2020

You've heard resolutions for photographers before, but have you made your own? If you want to learn how to improve your photography, give these New Year's resolutions a try.

Jan 16, 2020

In this videography 101 tutorial, learn a few videography tips for beginners that will help you start creating engaging content for your viewers.

Jan 15, 2020

With these top iPhone photography accessories, you'll be better-equipped to take high-quality photos and videos.

Jan 15, 2020

Learning how to edit videos like a pro is a lot easier than you might think. With these video editing tips, you'll learn specific tricks that will help you create epic videos.

Jan 14, 2020

Use these simple business tips for real estate photographers to develop your business and facilitate long-term growth.

Jan 14, 2020

Use this lens filter buying guide to help you identify which filters you need for your kit, how much you might need to spend, and what brands offer the best products.

Jan 14, 2020

If you're ready to upgrade your kit lens but aren't sure what to get, check out these kit lens alternatives that are more capable and might help you create improved images.

Jan 13, 2020