Advice for dealing with dropped D500 damage

5 years 5 months ago #611019 by bones1
Yesterday I came in from taking photos, and sat my camera on the DR table. To make a long story shorter, I was walking past with some clean laundry. One of the items, my wife's housecoat, snagged the flash as I walking past the the table(28"), and sent the camera, with a 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 VR to the wood floor.    
It looks like the camera hit the bottom, corner of the L-bracket first, and the lens started to tear away at the mount, from the 10 o'clock to  1 o'clock position approx. If you look at the camera now, from the side, the lens is canted downward, at an angle of maybe 5 deg.. The lens will NOT rotate, even though the release presses freely. I used a little force, any more will probable just cause more damage.
My main question is, would anyone here choose a repair facility other than Melville Nikon Repair, based on quality of repair, cost, turnover time, etc? 
I am already literally sick to my stomach over this, I don't want to make it worse,. Also, I know all repairs are different, but if anyone has ever dropped a rig and damaged it before, I would be curious to hear their experience and bill from Nikon. Thanks.

P.S. The camera still powers up, and all of the electronic function, work fine. I can even see though the viewfinder, but the image is dark. In my hysterical state when is first happened, before i realized the extent of the damage, I even snapped a photo, and it took an image, albeit underexposed. 

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #611049 by effron
Off to Nikon repair, I say....Melville has always done fine by me.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #611050 by effron
Also, do you possibly have your gear covered under homeowners, or another insurance?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #611058 by garyrhook
A Nikon authorized service center. Not much to waffle on, IMO.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #611074 by bones1
Okay, its boxed up going to Melville. Its covered on my homeowners policy, but I think my deductible is high. I have to call them in the morning. 
I just hope it comes back the same camera, or that the cost to fix it does not exceed the value of the camera, as one article on this site said could be possible. But I guess this was a blanket statement, referring to possibly older cameras. I guess we will see.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #611079 by effron
If it costs more than its worth, write it off, claim it on your insurance and get a new one. Just a late idea, I leave my gear on the floor, at all times unless in my storage closet. Its hard to drop it on a hard floor when its already there....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #611270 by Jacob Fisher
Another ouch!  Well keep us informed on what they come back to you with.  Curious what they do to check things out and what out of pocket cost you'll see.  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #611685 by Rob Conley
Keep us posted, kind of curious what comes from this.  Good luck!  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612699 by bones1
I know some of you have experience with sending gear to Nikon(N.Y.), and this is my first. They received it a week ago tomorrow, and I have not heard anything at all. Not even acknowledging they have it. Can someone give me a ballpark on how long it took them ( I know this will vary greatly ), until they got word that their gear was looked at. Thanks.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612702 by effron
Depends on what they need to repair, but know Nikon is NOT a great communicator. Great cameras and lenses but they don't employ customer service agents....Be patient.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: bones1
5 years 5 months ago #612715 by bones1
Okay that's good info!  Thank you.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #616415 by bones1
3 weeks after dropping and damaging my D500, and approx. $750 later, I have received my camera back today, but my problems are not over just yet.
I was informed the package was coming today, "signature required". Around 2 hours ago, I tracked the package again, and found UPS had left it at the end of my driveway! Panicked I drove down, and found my package, and the box was crushed on one side, and looks like it has been punted across the dist. center. I immediately called UPS, and they told me it was "noted that the package came with damage to the outside of the container". I called back again, for clarification, and was told that if there is damage inside the box, to call Nikon, and inform them that their package was damaged in transit. No explanation to the "no signature" issue.
I am totally "freaked out", that my camera, after having just spent a ton of money on it, is now going to be out "of tune", or "factory specs" that it was just returned to.
I have attached photos. I have not opened the box yet, while I wait for an old video camera battery to charge, to tape the process. Just in case. 
Inside the cardboard box, is a Nikon brand camera bag, that I had to ship the camera in, since it had a long lens stuck on it. I orig. shipped w/TONS if styro peanuts, etc, but I don't see the same care in return shipping from the outside, and thru the cracks. If anyone has any advice on how to proceed please sound off. I could use it. Thanks.
Make: Apple
Model: iPod touch
Lens: iPod touch back camera 3.3mm f/2.4
ISO: 40
Aperture: f/2.4
Shutter speed: 1/30 sec
Captured: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 12:10pm
Make: Apple
Model: iPod touch
Lens: iPod touch back camera 3.3mm f/2.4
ISO: 40
Aperture: f/2.4
Shutter speed: 1/30 sec
Captured: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 12:11pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #616423 by effron
Its noted as damaged, I'd open it, inspect and test it. UPS sux like that, I had issues with them similar to this. Nikon though, owns this, they selected the shipping method and trust me, they insured it with UPS. Calm down, and don't let them off the hook for your camera and lens....
I almost wish you hadn't contacted anyone, I would have waited and reported it not delivered, you may have received a new camera and lens over it. Nobody signed for it, UPS would have paid.
Jerks!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #616424 by effron
I also just looked closer at the photos, that package was obviously destroyed and repackaged by UPS. Nice job, dudes!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #616447 by garyrhook
Um, they all suck. I've had FedEx walk on a metal print box that was labeled "Fragile".

You call Nikon and explain to them what has happened. You offer to provide the images. You tell them that when open and inspect the package, any remaining damage is their responsibility, as they didn't properly package, nor ship, your property back to you. Then you discuss the time frame in which you're allowed to discover problems.

You let them know you're very unhappy, as well.

But it is their responsibility to deal with the transit agent (UPS) not you. All you can do is document the problem and raise hell.

(In my case, the damaged print was immediately replaced by the vendor. I didn't have to do anything besides contact them and provide photos.)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024