Did you learn/pick up photography from books?

5 years 5 months ago #612007 by Ken Brun
This topic came up in a Facebook group I belong too and there were some surprising answers to this.  I would have thought most picked up Photography high school or some sort of higher education.  Turns out most learned from books!  

What have been a couple of your favorite books that help guide your photography?  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612012 by effron
Not me, learned hands on, the try and fail method...(the hard way)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612019 by garyrhook

Ken Brun wrote: This topic came up in a Facebook group I belong too and there were some surprising answers to this.  I would have thought most picked up Photography high school or some sort of higher education.  Turns out most learned from books!  

What have been a couple of your favorite books that help guide your photography?  

Learn by doing, researching, observing, talking to others. About the only book worthy for a newbie is Peterson's "Understanding Exposure". Past that, it's iterative.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612023 by Nikon Shooter
In the days, there were no books, no internet… nor else!

I was a student and a class mate's father that was the scientific
photographer of the university… I developed good contact with
the old man and became his pupil.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612028 by Vahrenkamp
Nope, learned from picking up my camera and just doing

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612036 by Troponin

Nikon Shooter wrote: In the days, there were no books....

Today we learn that Nikon Shooter is thousands of years old. :P

I think you would be surprised by the number of people that are self taught. You would also be surprised by the number of folks that have not been doing photography for long. Some of the top YouTube photographers that are very good have only been at it for a couple/few years. 

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #612065 by KCook

Nikon Shooter wrote: In the days, there were no books, no internet… nor else!

I was a student and a class mate's father that was the scientific
photographer of the university… I developed good contact with
the old man and became his pupil.

Well I started fooling around with cameras in the '50s and there were plenty of books!

For anybody interested in books I have some spam -

photographyintro.com/basic-books/

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #612066 by Nikon Shooter

Troponin wrote: Today we learn that Nikon Shooter is thousands of years old. :P

Let's limit the damage to 200 years, maybe?

KCook wrote: Well I started fooling around with cameras in the '50s and there were plenty of books!Kelly

For once I took on me to answer a thread alone… my daughter
is laughing all the way… "I know what you meant to say but that
was not the way to do it!" … obviously as I read your replies. :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612158 by Moossmann
Mostly just from practice, I have picked up some books along the way, but the foundation was built from practice and tons of it!  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612167 by Studio Queen
From my father  and practice

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612171 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ken - et al

Back in the '60s [yes at least 200 yrs ago] when I started to become 35mm camera serious, I read & vacuumed information from magazines, camera club mentors, and then college studies & tutorials. I still have on my bookshelf several of the text books from those days!!

Back in the mid-70s when I was invited to join the local adult-ed college to tutor 'photographic techniques' I started to produce student course notes, which over the years morphed into 160-page books on 'how-to' that now filter their way around the world, not just across Oz

It means now that others can benefit from my 'vacuuming' :)

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 5 months ago #612185 by Kenta
Learned from good old fashion practice, practice and yes you guessed it practice. 

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612217 by Phyllis Miller
+1 practice 

5 years 5 months ago #612338 by Kayla Deis
The only photography book I bought was the Light Science and Magic - 

www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Magic-Intro...the+science+of+light

All else is self taught and asking questions on boards like this one.  

It's a great book by the way.  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612359 by Hoss
Trial and error all the way for me!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024