Did you learn/pick up photography from books?

1 year 2 weeks ago #612486 by Zach Mosher
Learned from my father and grandfather when I was a kid.  That lead into a ton of practice over the years.   Now I have picked up books along the way, however your question, if I'm understanding this correctly is asking who learned from the start from picking up a book.  

I would say for me, a more accurate description of how books impacted my photography, would be to say they complimented existing learning channels.  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 weeks ago #612682 by ThatNikonGuy
Brian Peterson books I had bought during my first few years.  Understanding Exposure, Understanding Shutter speed and one other one I can't think of.  

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #612865 by EOS_Fan
I learned from osmosis and practice!

:silly:

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #613036 by Addicted2Photos
My parents taught me early on, and I learned in a high school class I took.  

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #613118 by Justin Cramer
All hands on experience for me as well.  There were a few books along the way, but mostly learning on my own.  

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #613215 by Sharna Lee
Both of my parents were photographers, so I kind of grew into it.  

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #613598 by Juan Anthony
Yep, same here.  Nothing better than just getting out there and doing with your camera.  

Photo Comments

1 year 6 days ago #614809 by Zeberk
Well kind of a mix, between my father and books

Photo Comments

1 year 5 days ago #614972 by Ira Weber
I learned from doing.  No books.  Just practice 

Photo Comments

1 year 4 days ago #615116 by Danny Carson
Scott Kelby  books 

Photo Comments

1 year 4 days ago #615246 by effron
The first two people I worked for/with learned basic photography in high school....Those were the days.

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 year 3 days ago #615345 by Ken Brun
So many different approaches.  Good book suggestions.  :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

1 year 3 days ago #615348 by GaryA
Nope.  My uncle knew how to develop and print film. My cousin and I learn basic photography via trial and error while in grade school.  I advanced my skills and knowledge in college ... but in spite of the classes and books, it was still trial and error.  Lots of trial and even more error.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

In this Panasonic G9 review, we take a look at its essential features, its build quality, compatible lenses, and other crucial details to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Nov 04, 2019

In this Canon EOS 7D Mark II review, we outline the pros and cons of this camera and identify whether it's still a good buy in 2019.

Oct 25, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are plenty of filter kits to choose from, but many of them offer subpar build quality and results. That's not the case with the Haida M10 Filter Kit, which might be the ultimate landscape filter kit on the market today.

Nov 15, 2019

If you're a beginner and you want to explore black and white photography, consult these quick black and white photography tips to get started.

Nov 13, 2019

Winter photography can be a challenge for sure. But with these tips for winter photography, you can prepare yourself (and your gear) to get the best shots.

Nov 13, 2019

One of the critical aspects of creating awesome vlogs is having footage that's stabilized. With these methods for how to stabilize a camera, you'll have plenty of options for smooth video.

Nov 13, 2019

Photo by Cristian Grecu on Unsplash A Chinese university student tumbled off of one of China's largest mountains to her in death...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Karina on Unsplash Who among us doesn't have the intrinsically human desire to get absolutely smashed, incredibly naked...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Tim Bennett on Unsplash In a year of continuously bad news for Facebook, it turns out the iOS Facebook app has been...

Nov 12, 2019

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019