Amazon, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Samy's camera

5 years 5 months ago #615609 by Barbara Fite
Where is everyone getting their camera gear from?  Are there any of these retailers you wouldn't buy from?  I'm just curious if there is a list showing companies to stay away from.  In back of magazines they have ads from photography stores and some have these much lower prices than others.  

Example:  www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=Nikon+D...=6211750282635684723

Sorry for the long URL, don't know how to get shorter.  That is search for Nikon D750 in Google's "Shopping" tab.  

You'll see prices are all over the place.  

There must be some catches with some of these lower priced locations?  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #615641 by effron
Adorama, B&H Photo, Amazon,......stick with those, especially the first two. Don't fall for the packages or "too good to be true" deals.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615666 by Raymond Z
My first camera was one of those load  you up with garbage packages!  When you first get started, you don't know any better.  42Photo I want to say the name of that company was.  Horrible service.  

I only buy from B&H or Amazon these days.  Everyone once in a while, Adorama. 

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615690 by GaryA
Due to discrimination by B&H management. I no longer shop at B&H.

petapixel.com/2017/08/16/bh-pay-3-22m-se...it-filed-dept-labor/

My local brick and mortar provides me with internet pricing and I prefer to support them when I can.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 5 months ago #615733 by Jason Stevens
@Gary, are you able to get same pricing as B&H?  I remember reading about that law suit, which I thought was handled already.  The down side is that B&H usually has the best prices with Amazon close second.  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615739 by Screamin Scott
I can't see a local store competing on price with a huge store like B&H. I'm sure B&H gets volume discounts. That said though, nobody can sell the dear for any lower price than anyone else, which means they include "free" items to further entice shoppers to buy from them. Most times, most, but not all, of those extras are crap...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615740 by effron
Scott is correct to a point, gray market dealers can import gear and sell quite low at times. OP, make sure you are comparing cameras and lenses with a USA warranty!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615777 by Toby J
Black Friday is coming!

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #615881 by GaryA

Jason Stevens wrote: @Gary, are you able to get same pricing as B&H?  I remember reading about that law suit, which I thought was handled already.  The down side is that B&H usually has the best prices with Amazon close second.  

As a frequent shopper at OC Camera (Mission Viejo) ... the owner will match B&H or come close enough where it doesn't matter.  Typically, he will quote B&H's price to me and then delivers his price.  See if your brick & mortar will do the same if you promise to return.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 5 months ago #615899 by ThatNikonGuy
B&H and Amazon

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615946 by Barbara Fite
Well, I guess we'll all see who has the best holiday sales coming up.  Speaking of which, are these guys all suppose to stick by the same pricing for the holidays? 

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #616088 by Eleventeen
I like buying on Amazon since I am a Prime member.  I know I will get it in 2 days or less, and returns are very easy.  Unless I find it much cheaper somewhere else or the item is not available for Prime, Amazon is usually my go-to.  Also, if you sign up for Amazon Smile, a portion of your purchase will be donated to the charity of your choice (just remember to use the Amazon Smile specific site).

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #616096 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: I can't see a local store competing on price with a huge store like B&H. I'm sure B&H gets volume discounts. That said though, nobody can sell the dear for any lower price than anyone else, which means they include "free" items to further entice shoppers to buy from them. Most times, most, but not all, of those extras are crap...

Um, that makes no sense whatsoever unless you read it very carefully with an understanding of what goes on with Nikon, et. al.

(For everyone else) it's well established that you can't buy a US Nikon product from anyone at a lower price than anyone else. Nikon controls that. Same for Canon. No, it's not price fixing because there's no collusion among companies. So whether B&H gets volume discounts or not is irrelevant to end users, except for the crap that might be thrown in to entice a buyer. Most of which is worthless. What Scotty is saying is what I'm re-wording here, in total agreement, but with more words.

Those low prices? Gray market, which means you have no US warranty. Your call, your risk. And some stores advertise those prices and never deliver. Which causes you headache and delays.

1) you get what you pay for
2) support your local brick and mortar store if you have one
3) use a reputable dealer like Amazon or B&H
4) if you object to labor practices, you probably should build your own camera from scratch. They all  mistreat their workers, from beginning to end. Amazon is no better than B&H, but at least you know what will happen.

As for Amazon Prime and cheaper? For certain products, re-read the paragraphs above. It doesn't matter. You won't save money. +1 on Amazon Smile, I think. The only positive in all this.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #616113 by effron
" it's well established that you can't buy a US Nikon product from anyone at a lower price than anyone else."....
It protects Nikon and sellers from varying international exchange rates. That's the reason for the price control, and the rest is correct as well.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #616190 by garyrhook

effron wrote: " it's well established that you can't buy a US Nikon product from anyone at a lower price than anyone else."....
It protects Nikon and sellers from varying international exchange rates. That's the reason for the price control, and the rest is correct as well.....

Thanks for elaborating. I'll have to ponder that one a bit in order to understand how that might work...

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024