What metadata are you disclosing before sending photos to your client?

5 years 5 months ago #615702 by ShutterPal
A number of years ago, we had hired a photographer to photograph our daughters birthday party, the photographers photos had no metadata with the exception of copyright information.  For me, I send out my photos with all the EXIF data available. 

I bring up this topic, as this discussion has come up a couple times in the last few weeks with myself and a couple other photographers and both had indicated that they only include copyright information too.

IMO, having all that data in the files makes the images more searchable and easier to categorize.  

So what exactly is par for what disclosed?  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615706 by effron
I only provided prints in my day, but if I was still doing this today, I would not include metadata in digital files. What would be the purpose?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615758 by Studio Queen
Whatever is in the photos to begin with.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615780 by Nikon Shooter
For digital files I will deliver, I only include creator,
copyright, and contact information in metadata.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615932 by Finn
I pretty much send the photos out with out messing with EXIF data.  Nothing to hide or proprietary.  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #616050 by One Wish
I don't change a thing as well.  What ever in there, is what the good old client is getting from me. 

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #616098 by garyrhook
I can't imagine, for the life of me, what there is to hide. I think stripping EXIF is silly.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #616112 by effron
Maybe a disconnect here, who said strip exif? My question is, not having ever delivered digital files, are you people giving them to clients for the purpose of letting them get prints made elsewhere, from a costco or Adoramapix, etc?
Other than for digital frames, why?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #616117 by garyrhook
I interpreted "no metadata with the exception of copyright information" as effectively stripping EXIF. Do I misunderstand?

And yes, I've sold JPG files perfectly suited for printing. They may or many not have had metadata removed by LR when created, not thinking about this issue for a while. Then deciding I didn't care.

So I'll counter with a "why not?" The OP didn't report any stated reason (from conversations) to remove, and I can't come up with one. Now I'm curious.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #616133 by effron
Yup, I normally wouldn't have thought of handing over negatives in my day, or full sized files now. I would have never thought about the metadata as I would only deliver a reduced file, so maybe they could select printable shot? What would the end user need exif for?
Times have changed.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #616188 by garyrhook

effron wrote: Yup, I normally wouldn't have thought of handing over negatives in my day, or full sized files now. I would have never thought about the metadata as I would only deliver a reduced file, so maybe they could select printable shot? What would the end user need exif for?
Times have changed.

Even for small files intended for social media. I think printing is a separate issue from the OP's question.

I'm not thinking about the client needing the EXIF data, I'm thinking about, why bother worrying about removing it? Thus my question (to others on this thread): regardless of the end use of a digital image, what difference does it make?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024