Photokina 2019 has been cancelled

5 years 3 months ago #618639 by Chris Briggs
I had a friend who was over there for 2018 show, and he stated it was one of the slowest and smallest shows he has seen for photokina.  Turns out, they must have felt the crunch and just pulled the plug on the 2019 show, and to continue in 2020.  

I wonder if any of the slowly shrinking USA shows will follow with a every other year show?  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #618641 by One Wish
Low traffic will do it! 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #618722 by ThatNikonGuy
Well, I saw this one coming.  That show is just to much for the masses to attend.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #618740 by effron
It offers a lot for a few. A costly show, and economics forced a sane decision. Too bad though for those that enjoyed it....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #618769 by Jakov Barnes
I heard attendance was low and not many vendors showed up.  Those that did, didn't have a good turnout from the people that did show up.  This impacted the renewal rate.  Which means, 2020 gives photoKina time to fill their halls again with vendors.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619026 by J Photo Man
Every year is to close of interval for this show.  At least to pull in American advertisers and audience.  

Not surprised they moved this back to every other year. 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619074 by Jackson Rieger
Trade shows are bad investment for retailers anyway.  Think about it, companies spend $15,000 to $25,000 attending these shows, and at best might see 75,000 people.  Put that money to digital advertising on Google or Facebook and they can get much more bang for their buck.  

Just saying. 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619102 by Eric A

Jackson Rieger wrote: Trade shows are bad investment for retailers anyway.  Think about it, companies spend $15,000 to $25,000 attending these shows, and at best might see 75,000 people.  Put that money to digital advertising on Google or Facebook and they can get much more bang for their buck.  

Just saying. 

True and some of those shows cost much more to attend

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619910 by rogdel
Not too shocked – I don't know how these events are able function every single year

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #620261 by Scott Klubeck
No concern to me.  If I'm going to Germany, I'd rather hit up beer gardens!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024