Walking around San Fran at night with camera gear?

5 years 3 months ago #618951 by Olivia
We'll be in San Fran in 3 weeks, right after Christmas for a couple weeks.  Would you happen to know if I were to head out 2-3am in the morning to photograph the city, if it would be safe with my camera gear?  

I want to avoid having people in my shot, so I'm guessing super early in the morning will be the best time.  Just not sure about safety.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #618965 by effron
Its not a safe city, read some news reports....Don't go out alone especially if you aren't certain where you're going.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #618988 by Olivia
I'm from NYC, and will walk around here (certain areas) at night, but heard some comments on the high homeless rate there.  Wasn't sure how this was for downtown.  Thanks for chiming in!

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #619018 by GaryA
There are a ton of homeless and San Francisco has a very small footprint, so everybody, rich and poor are smashed in together.  If you're not familiar with a place, I wouldn't recommend shooting alone. Alone at night and being stationary with a tripod is an open invitation for robbery ... in any large city. If you do shoot at night, keep moving.  Shoot and Walk, Shoot and Walk, keep your head on a swivel and be aware of your situation and environment. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 3 months ago #619021 by effron
"There are a ton of homeless".....and a sanctuary city, I'll say no more.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619023 by John Landolfi
NO

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619093 by ThatNikonGuy
Regardless of the city, early hours of the day, you should always have a photo buddy with you.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619430 by Soccer Mom
OMG, always go with someone else.  To dangerous.  

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619431 by Troponin

effron wrote: "There are a ton of homeless".....and a sanctuary city, I'll say no more.

Came in to say this. The crime has dramatically gone up in the sanctuary cities. I would avoid them. Besides, I won’t support cities doing this in the first place, so I’ll visit other cities instead. 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619560 by Olivia
Thank you for all the comments.  All good points and well appreciated!  

BTW what are some good spots to photograph there?  I have a list already, but just seeing what are some favorite spots from others.  :) 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619563 by GaryA
Data has shown there is no greater crime in a Sanctuary City than in a Non-Sanctuary City.  The crime rate in a Sanctuary City has not risen from when the city was "Non-Sanctuary" to when the same city became a "Sanctuary City".  Sorry, but all the hoopla of sanctuary cities being a hotbed of crime is nothing but political hoopla and factually incorrect.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 3 months ago #619568 by effron
That's bogus news, to start with every illegal in sanctuary cities is a criminal just being there. A crime is a crime, reported or not.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619569 by effron

Olivia wrote: Thank you for all the comments.  All good points and well appreciated!  

BTW what are some good spots to photograph there?  I have a list already, but just seeing what are some favorite spots from others.  :) 

Classic shots, night or sunset of the city from Treasure Island, and of course the Golden Gate from any vantage point. Don't go alone and be aware.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619580 by John Landolfi
Drive up Jones Street to the top of Russian Hill (you'll know when you're there...:) ) 270 deg of spectacle.
 Palace of the Legion of Honor (Nice museum) Walk in the park area behind to get great Golden Gate and Marin Headlands shots.
Drive across the Golden Gate, take first exit, and get to Marin Headlands (GPS will be useful) for classic San Francisco postcard shots.
Drive to Ocean Beach, go to seals Rock.
If you get a fogless sunset, Treasure Island is a great spot to shoot the GG bridge and Mount Tamalpais, and, of course, the skyline.(even with some fog blowing in)
The Top of the Mark (Mark Hopkins Hotel, on Russian Hill) is a great night spot .
Have Fun, and don't go roaming alone at night!

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #619600 by Luca
Isn't San Fran homeless capital of USA?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024