Walking around San Fran at night with camera gear?

5 years 4 months ago #619749 by Number 7
+1 on photo buddy 

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #622286 by Office Guy
"With a crime rate of 63 per one thousand residents, San Francisco has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 16."

www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/san-francisco/crime

You'll definitely want to have someone with you and likely won't be a bad idea to have some level of protection on you. 

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #622319 by Randy Shaw
Dang, had no idea about San Fran.  That is pretty sad to see a city that screwed up.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #622432 by Colorado Mike
Man, I was just reading up on San Fran, pretty nasty crime taking place there. Surprised.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #622824 by Jared-Weaver
Hi, I used to shoot A TON in San Francisco when my company used to dock its tugs over at Pier 50 by Giants Stadium. I've been shooting there for 5 years at all the major landmarks from dawn till late late late night, all on foot with a conspicuous camera bag on my back. I've gone everywhere on foot at some point or another. I've been all through China Town, Little Italy, the Tenderloin, Daily City, Embarcadero, GG bridge, you name it, I've probably been by there. The vast majority of areas where you will be shooting are generally safe. That's not to say that  you shouldn't keep your wits about you, but you're not going to be mobbed by bums the moment you pull out your camera. I think the most trouble I had was shooting the TransAmerica building from Columbus. There are a few strip clubs near there and a dude got booted from one and decided to walk out into the street where I was shooting to try and give me grief. Just keep your wits about you and keep moving if you suspect trouble. TBH the only place I'd avoid is Golden Gate Park, tons of homeless and crime in there. 

Photo Comments
Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024