Woman finds out that her photos have been used in advertising all over the web

5 years 4 months ago #620480 by Pierce Steenken
Old article, but interesting.  I wonder if she read the model release?  

www.cbsnews.com/news/check-the-fine-prin...ds-around-the-world/

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #620500 by effron
Probably not, but I'll bet. she did stay at a holiday inn express......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #620626 by GaryA
Interesting stuff. Everybody needs to read that story.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 4 months ago #620776 by Cory J
The key to this story, is to pay attention and read and UNDERSTAND what you are getting yourself into. 

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #620794 by Troponin
It sounds like the photography took the headshot for a book and then sold the image to others to make additional profits. I think it’s fair to say that a majority of people would not suspect a photographer would be this dirty. Sure, we can all play Monday morning quarterback, But how many people can truly throw stones and say they have never been duped by a technicality or “fine print”? I’m sure very few. It just stinks that we have to deal with this kind of business. 

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #620798 by Stanly
Well it could’ve been worse!

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #620824 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote: It sounds like the photography took the headshot for a book and then sold the image to others to make additional profits. I think it’s fair to say that a majority of people would not suspect a photographer would be this dirty. Sure, we can all play Monday morning quarterback, But how many people can truly throw stones and say they have never been duped by a technicality or “fine print”? I’m sure very few. It just stinks that we have to deal with this kind of business. 

Um. no.

First off, if you sign something, the onus is on you to read it first. Otherwise, you get to experience the law of unintended consequences.

Secondly, model release are not complicated. They do, however, require a bit of thought. Again, the onus is on the signer to think about what they're doing. I learned 6 years ago, when I started out in photography, what a model release contains, and what it allows. This contractual arrangement is not a secret, it's not a scam, and it's not unusual. Nor is it wrong.

I'll continue. As a photographer, if I ask someone to sign a model release, with the intention of shopping the image for other purposes, I'll explain my intent so that it's clear what I'm asking of someone. But given a piece of paper (a contract) there is no requirement for me to do so, and I strongly object to the characterization that I would be "dirty" were I to expect someone to read something (and understand it) before signing it.

We don't get "duped" by fine print, we suffer the consequences of not reading or understanding what we sign. In which case, we are the ones that made the mistake. Does that make it right when someone willfully attempts to take advantage? No, of course not. But no one else is responsible for me, are they? This is a lesson that is not taught well, but that doesn't alter where the responsibility lay.

Finally, what does "this kind of business" mean? And why does it stink?

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #620825 by garyrhook

Stanly wrote: Well it could’ve been worse!

What, exactly, does that mean, and how does it help?

There's a meme floating around on Facebook that reads something like "Yes, it could have been worse, Becky. But it could have been a hell of a lot better, too!"

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #620955 by the four vignettes
I'm sort of curious if all the software EULAs everyone has deal with has made us more flippant about reading what we're signing.

5 years 4 months ago #620978 by garyrhook

the four vignettes wrote: I'm sort of curious if all the software EULAs everyone has deal with has made us more flippant about reading what we're signing.

A very good question. Hard to imagine that hasn't had some impact.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #620986 by effron
A lawyer friend told me a while back its rare to see someone read a contract prior to signing, and he specializes in home closings.....:S

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #621057 by Ruby Grace
That's because most ASSUME what the contract says.   Then back pedal in shock when poo hits the fan and the contract has surprises in it. 

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024