Red halo on high ISO + low exposition cave photography - origin?

5 years 3 months ago #620815 by JenJensen
Hi everyone,

I am looking for an explanation (and possibly mitigation) or one issue I have recently encountered.

I have taken my Nikon D610 with few lenses into a cave to try to take photos of glow worms. These guys glow, but not very much, so I have ended up using the highest possibly ISO, low aperture and exposition times between 3 and 10 minutes. The goal was to remove the rather ridiculous amount of noise by doing +- 10 photos and stacking).

The problem I have encountered is that for one particular lens (Nikkor 16-35 mm) I was getting a strong red haze over half of the picture. I have done some testing and the results are following:

1. Using different lenses helps. With other lenses, I get slight haze along the picture edges, but that's it. When 16-35 was put back, it was here again.
2. The effect did not significantly change after I improvised-blinded the view finder (by attaching that plastic thingy from flash connector over the view finder with a plaster - yeah, I did not realise it in advance)
3. The effect is clear even when no light enters the lens.

Do you have some experience whether this is caused by light (weak, but present) going around my makeshift blinder, it is something related to the lens construction or something I have not thought of?

Thanks for help

BTW: stacking is great, but it looks like for very dark areas, it does not really help. Just for the future.
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D610
Aperture: f/5.0
Shutter speed: 537.3 sec
Captured: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 7:43am

Attachments:
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #620840 by effron
Not sure about a couple of your questions, but it could be a white balance issue, no? Have you adjusted that in post?
(When its very dark, auto WB has no point of reference....)
A light leak also looks probable.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #620852 by Nikon Shooter
Looks like chrominance noise to me.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #621015 by JenJensen

effron wrote: Not sure about a couple of your questions, but it could be a white balance issue, no? Have you adjusted that in post?
(When its very dark, auto WB has no point of reference....)
A light leak also looks probable.

I should have probably made myself clearer. My problem is that the whole red haze in the photo should not be there, its not about its colour (attached successful photo - from a different spot - for comparison).

The think I am trying to find out is, can it be a light leak (but then why it stopped when I changed the lens?), could it be something coming from the lens itself or something completely different?

One of the options I can think of (but it might be complete bogus) is the red haze might in fact be infrared (some sensors can apparently detect it) heat coming from some fancy electronics in the lens... or something.

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #621016 by JenJensen
Here is the photo...
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D610
ISO: 12800
Aperture: f/3.2
Shutter speed: 05m:49s
Captured: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 10:32am

Attachments:
5 years 3 months ago #621062 by garyrhook

JenJensen wrote: The think I am trying to find out is, can it be a light leak (but then why it stopped when I changed the lens?), could it be something coming from the lens itself or something completely different?

One of the options I can think of (but it might be complete bogus) is the red haze might in fact be infrared (some sensors can apparently detect it) heat coming from some fancy electronics in the lens... or something.

A sensor has to be set up to detect IR. Otherwise, I think it's filtered out. And that's not what IR looks like, anyways.

It stopped when you changed the lens? That seems to tell me something.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #621194 by JenJensen

garyrhook wrote:

JenJensen wrote: The think I am trying to find out is, can it be a light leak (but then why it stopped when I changed the lens?), could it be something coming from the lens itself or something completely different?

A sensor has to be set up to detect IR. Otherwise, I think it's filtered out. And that's not what IR looks like, anyways.

It stopped when you changed the lens? That seems to tell me something.

The halo appeared only with the 16-35 mm lens. With 60 mm macro lens and 24-70 mm the haze was gone (or at least negligible and only along the edges, to that one might have come from the view finder). But apart from the IR I cannot think of any other lens-specific origin.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024