95MB/s vs 150MB/s card for Nikon D800

5 years 3 months ago #623221 by Toby J
Any reason to spend the extra bucks or a 150MB/s card for a D800 vs having the 95MB/s already? 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623225 by Nikon Shooter
There are two points in this question.#1 The files are +/- 35MB each. Big files you will need to
write to the card. Writing speed is important since the 
buffer is not the fastest for the biggest these days.

#2 Larger files require larger cards… maybe…

If you shoot lots of pictures in burst mode you will need a
rather fast write card. I f you go on a trip and need to store
all the files before you get home you will need a larger card.

In the D3S, I use very fast 16GB cards
In the D3X, I use very fast 32GB cards
in the d810,  I use very fast 64GB cards
in the D850,  I use very fast 128GB cards

All are up to 400MB write / 440 read.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623231 by garyrhook
A card with faster write speed allows the buffer in the camera to clear faster. That's a universal fact.

However, you're looking at read speed. Those numbers are for pulling data from the card.

You also don't indicate what problem you're trying to solve.

I'm assuming the 95 MB/s is a Sandisk Extreme Pro. Not sure what the other is. Find out the read performance of both cards in order to compare them appropriately.

That said, I acquired a 64GB UHS II card and there's a marked improvement in how fast my D750 can dump its buffer. Helpful on occasion.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623234 by GaryA
It all sorta depends on what you shoot and how you shoot.  If you slowly, single frame type stuff ... then no ... but if you shoot multiple frames per second ... you really need all the speed you can get.  A fast card helps. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 3 months ago #623236 by Scotty
Short answer, no.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623238 by JamieF

Toby J wrote: Any reason to spend the extra bucks or a 150MB/s card for a D800 vs having the 95MB/s already? 

If the D810 is anything to go by and assuming you are talking about write speeds then no. 

best-memory-cards-for-the-nikon-d810-a-detailed-comparison

5 years 3 months ago #623258 by Studio Queen
How much video to you shoot?

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623269 by Toby J
Not much video, mainly stills.  Actually about 95% stills easily.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626197 by Deb Reardon
I have a Lexar 256gb card that is 95MB/s for my Nikon D810 and it works wonderful

5 years 3 months ago #626317 by Patrick G
150MB is more for the video folks, unless you are shooting video I wouldn't worry about that level of speed.  Go with the 95MB transfer rate.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626606 by Kenya See
And Lexar just came out with 1TB card last week too! 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626881 by Roger Lang
If you aren't doing video, the 95 MB/sec will be just fine.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #627026 by garyrhook

Roger Lang wrote: If you aren't doing video, the 95 MB/sec will be just fine.  

HD video doesn't require much, but you really need to check write speed. That spec is usually read speed.

For 4k you want a UHS3-I card, which can sustain the 30mb/s data rate required.

For still, any of the Sandisk Ultra/Extreme/*Pro cards will suffice.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #627556 by Toby J
Just reading all the comments again, no problem being solved or suggested.  It was just a curiosity.  Nikonshooter, are you saying your cards are 440MB read and write?  

What cards are you using?  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #627596 by garyrhook

Toby J wrote: Just reading all the comments again, no problem being solved or suggested.  It was just a curiosity.  Nikonshooter, are you saying your cards are 440MB read and write?

Not all of them, no. Only XQD cards are rated at those speeds.

The old D3 supports regular compact flash, which maxes out at about 125 MB/s. The D810 uses CF/SD, neither of which support anything faster. The D850 has an XQD slot, which maxes out at almost 500MB/s. Thus the numbers mentioned.

There's a newer format for CF that runs faster than the old one, but it's not compatible, so can't be used in the older devices. And there's no need. Those older devices don't require write speeds like that.

The card can be as fast as you want, but the machine still has to be able to take advantage of that. And most still cameras don't. Even compressed 4K video can be handled by UHS-I.

XQD is in the UHS-3 class, but UHS is specified as "speeds up to", which means that you may not get a guarantee.

In short, each format is developed independently, has it's on benefits and limits, and must be considered individually.

Unless I've misunderstood everything I've read on this subject.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024