Faster lens vs. greater ISO for low light

5 years 3 months ago #623291 by Phyllis Miller
Happy New Year!  

When it comes to value and getting the most for your money, which can you get more for  less?  Is the cost from a f/2.8 to a f/1.4 lens, a better value then going from a camera that performs good at 3200 ISO to a camera that performs good at 1600 ISO?

5 years 3 months ago #623292 by Phyllis Miller
Actually to take that one step further - 

If you bought the camera that performed good at 3200 ISO, if you bought a lens that was f/1.4, would that level the playing ground and put your set up on par with a camera that is good at 1600 ISO with a lens that is f/2.8?

5 years 3 months ago #623306 by garyrhook
First off, you're splitting hairs. Trying to ascertain the difference between ISO performance re: 1600 vs. 3200 is a moot point. They won't be that far apart.

Then: you're talking about a single stop difference there. But the lens apertures you mention are two stops apart. So it's an invalid comparison.

IMO There's more to a lens than aperture. There's image quality, rendering, bokeh, and intent. What are you shooting? Shallow DoF portraits, or events, or street? I don't think you can look only a some specs and make a decision on equivalence.

In general, most of use will always say, "glass". Having just sold an 85mm f/1.8 and acquired an 85mm f/1.4 (for twice the price) I can say that I'm happy and it was worth it. But the latter is simply a better lens all around, not just because it has a (slightly) wider aperture (2/3 stop).

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623310 by fmw
You are comparing apples to oranges.  While both approaches will improve low light performance, the faster lens will affect depth of field while the ISO will a affect noise.  Different legs of the exposure triangle.

Personally I would prefer the faster lens

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623311 by Nikon Shooter

fmw wrote: Personally I would prefer the faster lens

+1

True, cameras performances are improving constantly but
higher quality lenses are the better investment anytime.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623327 by the four vignettes
Gary mentions some good points, but wait.. there's more.

It doesn't matter how fast glass is if you need to stop it down.  Sometimes f/2.8 is even too shallow, so a f/1.4 wouldn't be of much use in those situations (in fact it would just make the camera heavier). Some things like CA, sharpness and other properties can differ at various apertures also.  There's a LOT that goes into a lens and aperture is just a single part of it.

ISO perf in cameras is weird too.   Most higher MP cameras have worst high ISO perf but if you resize the images to something which has really good low light perf (which generally have lower MP),  would the images roughly look the same?  It isn't just the sensor/pixel size but the what the camera does with the RAW sensor data too. 

"I know that I know nothing"

5 years 3 months ago #623414 by ThatNikonGuy
Getting the faster glass is the better long term bet

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623627 by tCampbell
When available, I always go for faster glass.  That will benefit any camera you are using.  Making it a better long term investment.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623665 by Moe
+1 glass

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024