Faster lens vs. greater ISO for low light

11 months 1 week ago #623291 by Phyllis Miller
Happy New Year!  

When it comes to value and getting the most for your money, which can you get more for  less?  Is the cost from a f/2.8 to a f/1.4 lens, a better value then going from a camera that performs good at 3200 ISO to a camera that performs good at 1600 ISO?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 1 week ago #623292 by Phyllis Miller
Actually to take that one step further - 

If you bought the camera that performed good at 3200 ISO, if you bought a lens that was f/1.4, would that level the playing ground and put your set up on par with a camera that is good at 1600 ISO with a lens that is f/2.8?

11 months 1 week ago #623306 by garyrhook
First off, you're splitting hairs. Trying to ascertain the difference between ISO performance re: 1600 vs. 3200 is a moot point. They won't be that far apart.

Then: you're talking about a single stop difference there. But the lens apertures you mention are two stops apart. So it's an invalid comparison.

IMO There's more to a lens than aperture. There's image quality, rendering, bokeh, and intent. What are you shooting? Shallow DoF portraits, or events, or street? I don't think you can look only a some specs and make a decision on equivalence.

In general, most of use will always say, "glass". Having just sold an 85mm f/1.8 and acquired an 85mm f/1.4 (for twice the price) I can say that I'm happy and it was worth it. But the latter is simply a better lens all around, not just because it has a (slightly) wider aperture (2/3 stop).

Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #623310 by fmw
You are comparing apples to oranges.  While both approaches will improve low light performance, the faster lens will affect depth of field while the ISO will a affect noise.  Different legs of the exposure triangle.

Personally I would prefer the faster lens

Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #623311 by Nikon Shooter

fmw wrote: Personally I would prefer the faster lens

+1

True, cameras performances are improving constantly but
higher quality lenses are the better investment anytime.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #623327 by the four vignettes
Gary mentions some good points, but wait.. there's more.

It doesn't matter how fast glass is if you need to stop it down.  Sometimes f/2.8 is even too shallow, so a f/1.4 wouldn't be of much use in those situations (in fact it would just make the camera heavier). Some things like CA, sharpness and other properties can differ at various apertures also.  There's a LOT that goes into a lens and aperture is just a single part of it.

ISO perf in cameras is weird too.   Most higher MP cameras have worst high ISO perf but if you resize the images to something which has really good low light perf (which generally have lower MP),  would the images roughly look the same?  It isn't just the sensor/pixel size but the what the camera does with the RAW sensor data too. 

"I know that I know nothing"

11 months 1 week ago #623414 by ThatNikonGuy
Getting the faster glass is the better long term bet

Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #623627 by tCampbell
When available, I always go for faster glass.  That will benefit any camera you are using.  Making it a better long term investment.  

Photo Comments

11 months 1 week ago #623665 by Moe
+1 glass

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using a teleprompter when creating videos allows you to give your audience a much-improved message. With one of these best teleprompters of 2019, you can do so without busting your budget!

Dec 09, 2019

If you're ready to take better travel photos and make money while you do it, have a look at this tutorial for some must-have travel photography tips.

Dec 09, 2019

Photo by Geo Days on Unsplash If you're scared of going to the dentist, you should probably stop reading now. A dentist in...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Victória Kubiaki on Unsplash It's not every day that someone goes out of their way to make strangers smile, but that's...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Olenka Kotyk on Unsplash  Brides will always expect photographers to work for free because photography is an...

Dec 07, 2019

The best camera bags of 2019 include duffel bags and slings, backpacks and leather bags. Their common trait? These are some of the most well-designed, rugged, and functional bags available today.

Dec 06, 2019

I'm making the move to Canon mirrorless cameras, specifically the EOS R. Here's a few thoughts on the transition so far, including some pleasant surprises!

Dec 06, 2019

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019