What's your take everywhere camera?

5 years 3 months ago #624047 by W Cage
I'm currently shopping around for a new camera to upgrade my D700 and this has led me down the path of getting aware of many cameras that I wouldn't consider a replacement for my D700, but something that would be nice to have as a second body, as a smaller body.  Something that I would have with me all the time.  

Are you using something like a Sony a6500, Olypus PEN-F, or your iPhone??

My D700 got beat up more than it should have because I always had the camera with me.  Well I think when I get my new camera, I'll also want to get something small to.  That way I have something that is easier to carry around with me.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #624059 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

Your Q is one of those things that we all go thru from time to time ... and the answer will vary depending upon your circumstances

For me - I am a died-in-the-wool superzoom / bridge enthusiast ... love the convenience of full dSLR controls bolted onto a beaut zoom lens - and the small sensor does not bother me. Smaller versions of the superzoom come in slip-in-the-pocket sizes, have most but not all of the main features, but still with EVF and decent zoom lens. I would not buy or use anything without a decent built-in viewfinder - thus the iFone would be erased from my list immediately

As a Panny user, my vote for you would be to examine the FZ-300 and the
ZS-70 cameras - the former being a substitute for your dSLR, the latter being a pocket-camera possibility

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 3 months ago #624060 by John Landolfi
Sony RX10

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624065 by fmw
Mine is a pocket sized Panasonic point and shoot.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624067 by garyrhook
My iPhone. But when I take a real camera, it's my D750.

I wouldn't buy Sony because I loathe the company and its products. But until the Z models are worthwhile (plenty of discussions about that elsewhere on Pt), I'd go with a Micro 4/3s system and a couple of suitable lenses.

If I had the money, and the motivation to carry a camera all the time. Which I don't, because most of my life is going to set locations on a repetitive schedule. And nothing much happens.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624091 by GaryA
Presently, I take a Fuji X-Pro2.  Built like a tank, great lenses, but not all that small.  For something a bit more compact, I suggest a Fuji X-100F.  It does have a fixed 23mm lens (35mm FF) but for an everyday/carry around camera ... it works fine for most spontaneous, on the fly situations. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 3 months ago #624105 by KCook
Olympus E-M5 (M4/3 mirrorless). They are a bargain now on the used market. It has a few shortcomings - no built-in flash, terrible menu maze, lacks the newer quiet (electronic) shutter options. But the JPGs are solid and lots of M4/3 lenses.

If I were shopping for a current mirrorless I would get a Canon EOS M or Panasonic M4/3 for a more sane menu.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 3 months ago #624208 by Fitch
I'm using my iPhone for that have with me all the time camera.  When I know I'm going to be needing the big camera, I take it with me. 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624223 by Scotty
Iphone XS Max.  Love the fake bokeh.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624230 by Foxy Girl
+1 hard to not say iPhone these days.  I don't have an excuse to not have it with me. Let's face it, the cameras are pretty good on these things! 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624254 by shelland

Foxy Girl wrote: +1 hard to not say iPhone these days.  I don't have an excuse to not have it with me. Let's face it, the cameras are pretty good on these things! 

Easy to not say iPhone if you don't own one. ;) 

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

5 years 3 months ago #624272 by Khelm
Fujifilm X100T I forget I even have it in my bag most of the time.

5 years 3 months ago #624321 by Barbara Fite

John Landolfi wrote: Sony RX10

How do you like this camera?  Did you buy it new or used?

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624338 by Rishabh-Sharma
Samsung s9+ gives quite a bit photography experience

5 years 3 months ago #624412 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

I find it interesting that so many are offering the iPhone as your choice ... for me who does 75% or more shooting out over 300mm, I wonder a) how your iPhones would get on with my subjects &/or b) how I would get on with an iPhone !!!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024