The Dunning-Kruger effect

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #624585 by Stefan-Olsson
Why is it so prevalent, especially in the arts, like photography, music etc......?

Discuss!

In music specifically i call it "The American Idol effect"

In which a guy or a girl have been repeatedly told by family and friends how great they are, in which a false sense of greatness gets instilled, thus leading to them to believe they are Gods gift to singing.

A quick reality check or comparison with actual talent will quickly put an end to it.

It's the same in Photography: You see so many people basically taking a cell phone snap, and voila they have created the Mona Lisa for a new generation all with their Iphone......so they think.

If they were to add that photo in a competition with actual photographers, they would quickly come to the realization that it was never more than just an unedited snap.

All arts are subjective and therefore hard to judge, and with todays social media, the more followers and views you have, the more talented and skilled you are..........or so you think.

I think it at the core of it, the dumbing down of the world in large are partially the culprit. Everybody think they are special, or have special talents and gifts.......

But do they really. I think not.......The playing field just have gotten more players.

Stay Focused

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 3 months ago #624610 by GaryA
 .... and then they want to shoot a wedding.

I have a problem when 'people-with-cameras', asked what lens to use for their upcoming wedding gig that they are charging for.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan-Olsson
5 years 3 months ago #624611 by GaryA
I tend to ignore people who think they're great but can't take criticism of any kind. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 3 months ago #624612 by Stefan-Olsson
right....hahaha. I know im not that great, and I am fully aware of that. No illusions involved at all. Personally I join a lot of competitions at viewbug etc, just for fun. I of course always submit what I think are my very best photos for the topic being introduced.

Then when I look at the top photos it quickly makes me realize....WOW, I have a Loooooooooooong way to go:)

Funny sidenote: Dont you love (hate) if you're setting up a tripod anywhere getting ready to take a long exposure perhaps. To the average phone snapper that is an invite to walk right up and take photos from exactly the spot you are in, as if you knew the right spot cause you have a tripod....lol

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624624 by desmobob
I read an article about the effect and it seems to have some positive ramifications.  It may help cause that early excitement and enthusiasm that drive people to stay with something; to learn and gain experience and knowledge.

Stay sharp,
Bob

5 years 3 months ago #624672 by Stefan-Olsson

desmobob wrote: I read an article about the effect and it seems to have some positive ramifications.  It may help cause that early excitement and enthusiasm that drive people to stay with something; to learn and gain experience and knowledge.

Stay sharp,
Bob

Very true Bob.

Ive been playing guitar for 35+ years, In the beginning you learned Smoke on the water or some basic riff and I though I was the shit, and that of course is what keeps one going, but as you progress and get better you realize that you dont really know anything.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624675 by Khelm
The more you know the more you realize you don't know.  Very interesting topic.  It was mentioned on one hand that feeling promotes growth and the other it stifles growth by thinking higher of yourself than maybe you are.

I am new to photography as I have only been shooting for two years.  I will get really excited about something, whether a really nice photo or having photos accepted into a photo exhibition, then I will see other photos or even the flaws in my own and will be knocked back down to Earth.  

I am not a professional as I have never been paid to do any work, or even have the skills or experience for being paid, and I get frustrated when I see someone buy or own a camera and then advertise on Facebook they are starting to do portraits (or weddings as mentioned in this post).  You look at their work and cringe a bit.

I think affirmation and excitement is key for someone to pursue something (guitar, photography, painting, etc).  I think the true test is if they can persevere through the let down and realization of their true level so they can practice and get better.  I would imagine even the Pro or experienced photographers on this forum would of had times like this.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024