Any must shoot spots on the Los Angeles to Oakland drive?

5 years 2 months ago #625203 by Jeffster
I'll be visiting Los Angeles and driving up to Oakland in a few weeks.  Are there any must stop and photograph spots along that drive?  

I think I'll be driving up the 5 freeway most of the way.  I was thinking of taking the Coast Highway, but not sure if there are straight runs or red lights all the way up? 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #625205 by Jared-Weaver
There's literally nothing on the 5 and very little access to the coast from there. If you're not in a hurry, take the PCH and enjoy an absloutly stunning drive. You can stop at Hearst Castle, Monterey, Big Sur and then straight on to the Golden Gate Bridge. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #625211 by Jeffster
I totally forgot about Hearst Castle!  That might be worth stopping and spending the night.   Have you been there before?  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #625216 by Jared-Weaver
I've been there once. No tripods allowed. I found it to be depressing due to the fact that the home is filled with looted religious and historical artifacts taken from Europe after WWI. You're taken up from the visitors center by bus and kept in groups that move through the whole tour in about an hour. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #625217 by Jared-Weaver
The iconic outdoor pool has had it's looks ruined by metal fencing that has been permanently installed around the edge as well. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #625223 by Stefan-Olsson
Nothing really of interest along the 5, but obviously a ton to shoot in LA and in San Fransisco. Along PCH is a lot of beautiful scenery but will be a few hours longer drive.

Let me know if you need any specific suggestions regarding LA, I live here.

Here's your typical PCH scenery between LA and the Bay area.....

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 2 months ago #625226 by GaryA
California Highway 1 ... Pacific Coast Highway is considered as one of the most beautiful/scenic highways in the world.  By contrast, Interstate 5 is largely empty. At this time of year, the Elephant Seals are calving in San Simeon.  (Hearst Castle is also in San Simeon.) Elephant Seals are these 5,000 lbs. behemoths flopping on Central Coast’s beaches. Highway 1 will take you twice as long as Interstate 5 (without stopping), but the seals alone makes it well worth the drive. If you have the time, take Highway 1 and make many stops along the way ... Santa Barbara, Pismo, Carmel, Monterey, Cambria, San Simeon, et cetera. Imagine cliffs 100’ high with 100’ high Redwoods on top.  If you have the time, take Highway 1 and take a few days for many many stops.  You will never forget the trip.  

But, check with the California Highway Patrol first before taking Highway 1, as it has been cut due to mudslides/landslides north of San Simeon. 

Good Luck and Good Shooting.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 months ago #625240 by garyrhook
5 is interesting if you like farmland. Otherwise, you want to drive PCH. While I think Oregon is far more scenic, you can't beat a coastal drive.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024