Shooting from a small airplane

5 years 3 months ago #625281 by Farestad
I've been hired on my a small rancher to shoot his property both on land and by air.  Land is no problem no questions.  The part I'm a little unsure about is the ranch owner has a small grass strip runway on his property and his own airplane (Cessna 208 Caravan) he's going to take me up in so we can take photographs from the air of his property.  

His plane has a roll up door in the back that I'll be photographing from.  I'll be in a harness and tethered to the inside of the plane to keep me from falling out.  

I don't suppose I could get any tips on shooting property this way?  Any tips at all would be great as I've not don't ANYTHING like this before.  Sure to be an adventure either way!  

Thanks!

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #625282 by Farestad
Oh, here's a wiki page on his plane so you can see what I'm going up in.   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_208_Caravan

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #625329 by garyrhook
You likely want a very high shutter speed to mitigate vibration from the plane and wind.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #625336 by GaryA
You want at least two bodies, as you don't want to change lenses on the fly and in the wind. Make sure the cameras are well secured to your body.  Trust your harness. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 3 months ago #625345 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

From some previous light aero stuff I've done, I would take only the 70-200 on this first run 'upstairs'

Set ISO-400 + 1/1500 or higher and use the full length of the zoom to grab 'wide' and 'narrow' views of the property. Once back on terra-firma and looking over the best of the results with him [ie: after you've tidied up any non-acceptable ones], if in the conversation is appears that he wants / needs wide-angle images & out to the horizon, then you get a 2nd air flight!!

Work with the rancher - choose time of day for shadows etc - make the plan & see it all come together

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 3 months ago #625385 by Hassner
I am still not sure how the farmer wants his farm shot.
Some want technical vertical shots like an up to date google earth.
Then a at least 24mm on a full sensor body might not be wide enough.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #625664 by Chuck Liley
Make sure you hold on all your glass!  

Remember a few years ago that 105mm lens fell through someone roof from falling out of an airplane? 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024