Real time eye Auto focus

5 years 3 months ago #626034 by Ontherocks
I was just reading the news about the Sony a6400 that was just released and it looks pretty good.  I noticed it has real time eye AF.  It seems you see more manufactures jumping on this.  Wondering how does this work.  If you are shooting in f/2.8, is it just that simple that this will put the eyes as the sharpest point of the photo?  

With that said, would this work when shooting birds mid flight?  Meaning it would capture the birds eye in sharp focus?  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626041 by garyrhook

Ontherocks wrote: I was just reading the news about the Sony a6400 that was just released and it looks pretty good.  I noticed it has real time eye AF.  It seems you see more manufactures jumping on this.  Wondering how does this work.  If you are shooting in f/2.8, is it just that simple that this will put the eyes as the sharpest point of the photo?  

With that said, would this work when shooting birds mid flight?  Meaning it would capture the birds eye in sharp focus?  

f/2.8 is irrelevant. Eye recognition should work at any aperture.

Human eyes aren't the same shape as most animal eyes. Certainly not birds. I don't think this feature works on moving subjects (tracking) anyways, so unlikely that it would work with BIF.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #626050 by Shadowfixer1
Yes, eye AF works in video. The box will follow the movement of the subject. It's not flawless but it's pretty close and getting better. Sony is working on eye AF for animals. I doubt it would work on BIF's but relatively static subjects should work fine.

5 years 3 months ago #626066 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Yes, eye AF works in video. The box will follow the movement of the subject. It's not flawless but it's pretty close and getting better. Sony is working on eye AF for animals. I doubt it would work on BIF's but relatively static subjects should work fine.

Ah, very good. For video. What about for stills?

And I forgot to add, "I could be wrong" to my post above. Oops.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626217 by One Wish
LOL it's the internet, we'll forgive!  

Really though, I would be surprised if this worked on birds and animals.  This tech I'm pretty sure is coded in around general shape of human head.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626301 by Eliffman
I just searched in Google about real time eye auto focus and birds and couldn't find a single reference to this.  So, as popular as bird photography is, I'm going to say not possible, otherwise the manufactures would be all over this in their marketing.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #626343 by Shadowfixer1

Eliffman wrote: I just searched in Google about real time eye auto focus and birds and couldn't find a single reference to this.  So, as popular as bird photography is, I'm going to say not possible, otherwise the manufactures would be all over this in their marketing.  

They are working on animal eye autofocus. It will be a firmware update later, likely in 2019. Sony is almost there with it. No idea if others are working on it or not.

From Sony
If your subject looks back at the camera, it will automatically switch to Eye AF. And this tracking works well for nearly any subject: a human, a dog, a soccer ball. Its performance and usability means it may be the only AF mode you ever need. After an update this summer, the a6400's Eye AF will be expanded to work for pets and wildlife.
5 years 3 months ago #626405 by Sean Lamber
It will eye focus on pets

See 6:50 in this video with the new Sony a6400

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024