Getting windows exposed correctly with real estate photography

1 year 4 months ago #626245 by Victor.E
With my interior bracketing, I've been doing 5 photo bracket with 2 stops between each of my photos.  -4, -2, 0, +2, +4.  Actually I seem to recall another photographer using the same settings and he too had issues with getting the windows right.  

My windows just a tad too bright and almost feel 'Photoshopped'.  Not sure what else I can do here.  I have Photomatix and that has helped but these shots still aren't dialed in.  

How are you getting windows exposed correctly in situations like this?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 4 months ago #626254 by garyrhook
I don't do interior architecture, but I have had occasion to deal with bright windows.

I found that I was happiest when I shoot the windows so that the exposure almost clipping, then pull down the whites and highlights in Lightroom just until I have some definition (I can see what was outside the window, be it clouds or whatever), then blend that into the shot.

IMO you don't want so much unexpected/unreal detail in the window to get attention, but the human eye knows what's out there, so you want to emulate that by providing just a bit of information to satisfy the mind's expectations.

Works for me. Hope this helps.

Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #626256 by Nikon Shooter
The simple strategy is to do two shoots: one for the interior
and the other for the window. Be sure to get everything right
in terms of focus and exposure and don't touch the focus as
you shoot for the windows.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #626288 by Shadowfixer1
To actually do it correctly, you set the camera to expose for the scene outside the window and then use auxiliary lighting set to match the exposure on the camera. If you do it your way with bracketing, then the results will entirely depend on your editing skills.

1 year 4 months ago #626298 by fmw
In the film days we did what shadowfixer recommends.  Now in the digital age it is more common to use HDR as Nikon Shooter recommends.  Either approach will get the job done.

I had to shoot lots of factory interiors back in the film days.  Those made home interiors seem like kids' stuff.  I generally had to rent additional lighting.  For a home, I would just use HDR.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

There are more ways to carry camera gear than the strap that came with your camera. Give one of these beautiful, well-made, comfortable options a try.

May 20, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

In this Snaptiles vs Mixtiles comparison, learn which photo tile is better from a build quality standpoint and ease of use.

May 19, 2020