Nikon D3500 or 5600

5 years 3 months ago #626376 by amcdonald
And...

Camera body + 18-300mm lens or camera with stock lenses included?

My interests are ordinary family photography and landscapes while traveling. My #1 want is sharp, clear pictures. No interest in video. 

The reason I mentioned the 18-300 mm lens is because I’d love to be able to take a picture of my kid in the outfield and then a picture of my kid in the bleachers without changing lenses. This is my #1 worry with DLSRs. PS..I can’t go bankrupt buying super fancy lenses.

Many help would be greatly appreciated. I’m having the hardest time picking a new camera (old one broke). I’m discouraged and disappointed because there is so much info online that it makes it very difficult to choose. If anyone has any other suggestions of something other than the 2 I mentioned, I’d love to hear that too.  

Thank you!!

5 years 3 months ago #626398 by Eliffman
Assuming budget isn't an issue, then the D5600.  Really it's a close call.  They both get nearly the same sort of reviews.  TEchRadar scores them the same.  They have nearly the same main specs.  The D5600 you will get a rotating screen in the back and a bit better resolution with the display as well.  D5600 has built in time lapse as well vs the D3500 doesn't.  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: amcdonald
5 years 3 months ago #626400 by Sean Lamber
Just noticed how close the specs are on both of these.  What was Nikon thinking here?  The D5600 does look like it has the overall better specs.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626409 by garyrhook
+1 on the articulated screen. Very handy feature, whether you know that now or not. I had a D5100 for years, and it was great.

I'd recommend either the 18-200 or 18-300 lens as a good, medium quality, walk-around lens. You can get the 18-200 used for a very good price. Add a fast prime (50mm, e.g.) and you're set for almost anything.

Oh, and get the D5600. Definitely. My photo albums on here are full of images from a D5100, and it allowed me to make enough money to buy a D750. The D5xxx series is a fine product.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626411 by Eliffman
You still have the D5100? 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626412 by Eliffman
Whoops  missed the key word "HAD".  :) 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626416 by garyrhook
No, I sold it to a friend. I use a D750 currently. Looking at a D850 if I can generate the funds.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626597 by Prago
Won't be long before the D850 comes down on price.

OP - the D5600 is a good fit for you, you get a few more bells and whistles as you have noticed here. 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626708 by ShutterPal
I don't think the D850 price will be reduced till you have the next camera in it's place on the market and getting in photographers hands.  It hasn't even been 2 years on the market for that camera yet (Aug 2019 is 2 year mark).  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626820 by Frisco
The D5600 is a great camera for the money.  I'd go with that one, you get a few more perks over the D3500.  Most of which have been named here already.

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654879 by John-Bennet
My personal opinion is that you should go with the Nikon D5600, I have used both and I would agree that if budget wasn't the problem you should go with D5600.. Since specs are really close and Nikon D5600 has some extra features and overall better feel when holding in hand (this is my opinion) I would go for it. However I am not sure about stock lenses since they usually don't perform as well. 18-300mm lens is a good all-in-one lens but maybe search on google if you need advice on which lens to get for your style of photography, here is just one example if you don't feel like searching a lot but there are many different sites out there that should help you and give you some amazing tips.

TLDR: My vote is for Nikon D5600 but also be careful about which lenses you are buying since they are very important.

I wish you all the luck in the future.

The following user(s) said Thank You: steeleshirley712
4 years 6 months ago #663262 by Queenofwinter
Nikon  d5600 would be great! I've read a lot about different models while choosing a camera, and bought me nikon d5600  https://cameravs.com/Nikon-D5600 . The previous model I had was D750, quite good too.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024