Are you using a gray card when out shooting landscapes?

5 years 2 months ago #626392 by Ryan O
I'm referring to outdoor use of a gray card.  I see plenty of photographers using them in studios.   Just haven't noticed many using for outdoor stuff.  I will normally shoot in RAW and have not used a gray card at all.  

I know some are religious about using them in studios while I know others never use them.  So keeping that in mind, wanted to see if others used them for outdoor stuff too? 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #626394 by Shadowfixer1
Nope. 
5 years 2 months ago #626395 by hghlndr6
No
5 years 2 months ago #626397 by Nikon Shooter
I always have a card in my bag and will use it for landscape ONLY
when there is no possible reference point in the scene like a white
or grey wall, weathered asphalt or else.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #626414 by garyrhook
For landscapes, usually not. If I think I might want a reference point for my interpretation of the scene, then yes, I have one, and would use it. But usually not.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #626450 by Jared-Weaver
What's a gray card? Lol

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #626580 by Jim Photo
Not for outdoor work.  Never. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #626678 by fmw
I don't even have one.  Adjusting white balance in software is fast and effective.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #626743 by KCook
Only at night or when the outdoor shot focuses on a person, animal, or historic object. So most of the time - no.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 2 months ago #626856 by Chantel Nasbur
I only use a gray card when shooting in a studio or indoor situations.  Never for landscapes.  Actually, I will use gray card for outdoor portraits too.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #627001 by ThatNikonGuy
Not for landscapes 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #627202 by Adam S
I don't think I have ever used a gray card outdoors.  Never actually.  So no for me. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #627547 by Ted Baker
Not in a long time.  When I first got started I used one a lot  more.  Now I just fix white balance in ACR or Lightroom. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #627745 by Conner
For interior portraits I have many times.  But for outdoor stuff, can't say I have.  Remember that white balance filter company a few years ago.  Man, forgot the name.  You would screw on a white cap onto your camera and set custom white balance from that thing.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024