Where was this amazing photo taken?

5 years 2 months ago #627894 by Ben Vanderbilt
I'm guessing somewhere in South America?  

www.photographytalk.com/photos/450719

When you see great shots like this, I wish the photographer would put more details. 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: spudalicious
5 years 2 months ago #627901 by Stefan-Olsson
it took all of 5 seconds to figure out where it is.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #627911 by garyrhook
To add more detail to the above:

The keywords on the photo state "southern Idaho", and lava tube. A google implies Craters of the Moon, but there are other possibilities. I could not find an image on Google that looks quite like this however.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #627925 by Chuck Liley
Cool shot, glad you posted about it.  I would have guessed somewhere in South America too

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #627935 by Chris Briggs
Scroll down on right side to see "Keywords"

There you go!  

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #627987 by spudalicious

Ben Vanderbilt wrote: I'm guessing somewhere in South America?  

When you see great shots like this, I wish the photographer would put more details. 

So sorry about the lack of details.   I just uploaded a big batch of my photos all at once and was being lazy.    Looks like you guys got it sussed out well though :)   it is indeed southern Idaho near a town called Gooding.   Not quite Craters of the Moon and not entirely certain it's part of the same flow.  Most of S. Idaho is covered with volcanic geology.    This little cave is a real gem,  looking at the lush ferns in the bottom, you would never guess that the surface is a large and relatively uninteresting desert covered with sagebrush and cheat grass.   I'm pretty sure that you won't find any other native growing ferns for a couple hundred miles in any direction from this location.   I'm told that they are a remnant of the last ice age.  It's a very magical feeling location.

Another nearby cave was totally violated with garbage and vandalism so, even in my full description the exact location wasn't mentioned.   However, if you are ever in the area and interested in visiting...  Please DO feel free to get in touch with me and I'm more than happy to give out the GPS location.   I just don't feel comfy posting the GPS info online.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628041 by Trisha.M
You have some killer shots!

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628044 by spudalicious

Trisha.M wrote: You have some killer shots!

Thanks a million Trisha, that's very nice!   :)    I'm fortunate to live in an area that has a lot of stuff to point cameras at within an hour or two drive. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628057 by GaryA

spudalicious wrote:

Ben Vanderbilt wrote: I'm guessing somewhere in South America?  

So sorry about the lack of details.   I just uploaded a big batch of my photos all at once and was being lazy.    Looks like you guys got it sussed out well though :)   it is indeed southern Idaho near a town called Gooding.   Not quite Craters of the Moon and not entirely certain it's part of the same flow.  Most of S. Idaho is covered with volcanic geology.    This little cave is a real gem,  looking at the lush ferns in the bottom, you would never guess that the surface is a large and relatively uninteresting desert covered with sagebrush and cheat grass.   I'm pretty sure that you won't find any other native growing ferns for a couple hundred miles in any direction from this location.   I'm told that they are a remnant of the last ice age.  It's a very magical feeling location.

Another nearby cave was totally violated with garbage and vandalism so, even in my full description the exact location wasn't mentioned.   However, if you are ever in the area and interested in visiting...  Please DO feel free to get in touch with me and I'm more than happy to give out the GPS location.   I just don't feel comfy posting the GPS info online.

Good and a responsible call on the location.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 months ago #628061 by garyrhook
Totally agree on not making the location public. There's no need for that.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #628192 by Tim Kelley
Agree, then you have ever Instagram'er heading there to take selfies and walk off the edge.  :dry:

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #628271 by Mason Latka
WOW is right, what a location.  I wouldn't tell a sole.  Those who find it, good for them.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #628379 by spudalicious

Tim Kelley wrote: Agree, then you have ever Instagram'er heading there to take selfies and walk off the edge.  :dry:

LOL  yeah..  I've always been amazed by the lengths some will go to for a selfie.   But, in retrospect, I have done much stupider in my youth hahahahah.    

Since you bring it up though....  There is this.  She probably wasn't in much danger but, when I was there, I sure didn't even give a passing thought to getting that near the edge of the ceiling hole.   It is a loooong way down.   In addition, the entire reason there is an opening at the ceiling is because it COLLAPSED at least once already for the love of mike!  :D

www.instagram.com/p/BSGkaahjQCy/

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #628428 by H Rocky
Beautiful, keep the shots coming!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024