The Instagram look

5 years 2 months ago #627930 by Stefan-Olsson
Or the cinematic look, or whatever you call it. Teal and Orange.

What's your thoughts about it? I am not a huge fan although it fits very well on certain images. Reason i'm asking, I posted a picture to my instagram (that I rarely use}and people seemed to love the image. It was an absolute "nothing special" image but I edited it with the typical instagram look.

My theory is that some people are so pummeled by "that look" that somehow triggers the , oh thats beautiful.

haha.

Thoughts?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #628073 by garyrhook
No, it means that people have questionable taste.

While it is true that well-applied color theory is a good thing, and teal/orange is a basic one for humans (because of skin tone), what people like on IG is kinda content-free. I do post, and I am amazed at what gets attention. Anything that requires attention and thought is going to get ignored. IMO simple-to-understand is always popular.

I could be wrong.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #628076 by Stefan-Olsson
No I think you are right. Not to talk down on people and their "likes", but often it seems you have to cater to the lowest common denominator. The "look/edit" of the week so to speak. I also have posted some very random very basic pics on instagram and got a lot of attention. Those are pics I would never post on any photo sites, because myself dont think they are up to par. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #628079 by Stefan-Olsson
For anybody that might not know what that "instagram look is, here is a few examples of photos I took and edited in that style. The kids LOVE them these days...haha. Im not the best but there are many people that mastered this style of edit.

Its also a very popular summer blockbuster movie style color coding.

Skate kids @ Venice Beach

Jared James Nichols @ The NAMM show the other day

From a street photography walk in Hollywood a few weeks ago.

Little Tokyo from the other day

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 10 months ago #644865 by Shadowfixer1

Lorita7 wrote: I like Instagram even though there are not always professional photographers. Maybe some of them will become ones one day. I've got an account there, and I boosted mine a bit in the very beginning  https://zen-promo.com/follow_bot_instagram  but now I have a real audience and all these likes make my heart warm :)

I will never use a "bot" program. If you can't get likes and followers the natural way, how do you know what's real and what's not? Sad.
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #644884 by Troponin
I never understood why IG allows bots. It further saturates it with terrible content. I constantly get sponsored ads for photographers that look like they have been at it 6 weeks and they are getting a ton of likes, only because the bots are "liking" the content, not because people actually like the photos. 

I have done mine manually since day one. It's a major reason I am not following, nor do I have, thousands of followers, and I don't care to unless I am a pro and can pay someone to take care of the bog of eternal stench that is IG. Unfortunately, social media has become a necessary evil. 

On a final note, most of the photographers I follow on IG are professionals. The previous thought that IG photogs and models are not pros is an old one that no longer holds true, even if there are still a lot of fakes out there. The pros even realized that social media can boost their careers in some ways. I folow folks like Bertie Gregory, a Nat Geo photographer, and Finland pro Ossi Saarinen (These guys are only in their 20s!) It doesn't get much better than these folks for wildlife photography. 

On a final note, IG follows trends. Some of the trends are main stream, some are not. Some are good, some are bad. If you want to watch the latest trends in portraiture and want to see someone that posts good photos, Manny Ortiz is fun to follow. Then you have pages like PortraitMood that features some really amazing stuff and also stays pretty trendy, but not the bad trends. (usually)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024