Lenses under 35mm with polarized filter used will cause cross polarization?

5 years 2 months ago #628954 by F Anderson
What in the world in does this mean?  I went to google and all I see is stuff talking about antennas.  Example: 

"Cross polarization (sometimes written X-pol, in antenna slang) is the polarizationorthogonal to the polarization being discussed. For instance, if the fields from an antenna are meant to be horizontally polarized, the cross-polarization in this case is vertical polarization."

I was reading up on some filters, and one manufactures Amazon add stated something about using a polarized filter on 35mm or under will cause cross polarization.  

What does that mean?  You can't use a polarized filter under 35mm? 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628972 by Nikon Shooter

F Anderson wrote: You can't use a polarized filter under 35mm? 

P and CP may very well be used on any lens… and
I never heard or read the said expression either.

One only has to be aware of the light incidence.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628992 by garyrhook
I don't think that applies to lenses. Despite what you found.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629070 by F Anderson
Here you go:  www.amazon.com/PolarPro-QuartzLine-PL-Ne...ybrid%2Bfilter)&th=1

"
  • Single Element 10-Stop Neutral Density with built in Polarizer eliminates the need for filter stacking (for Lenses over 35mm / Lenses under 35mm will cause cross polarization)"

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #629093 by garyrhook

F Anderson wrote: Here you go:  www.amazon.com/PolarPro-QuartzLine-PL-Ne...ybrid%2Bfilter)&th=1

"

• Single Element 10-Stop Neutral Density with built in Polarizer eliminates the need for filter stacking (for Lenses over 35mm / Lenses under 35mm will cause cross polarization)"

Yeah, that doesn't mean anything. And it's wrong.

Polarization is about filtering light from specific angles, and cross-polarization is about two filters and two angles. A single filter doesn't doesn't do it.

I'm pretty sure that the warning above is about using a CPL with a wide-angle lens and getting color variation in the sky. Jay Patel has an article about it here . I get grief about this every time I post a wide angle or pany landscape taken with a CPL.

The OP's post is about antennas and not lens filters.

Athough, to be crystal, I only had the three required semesters of physics in college, so I could be mistaken/misinformed here.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629102 by fmw
Whether light is polarized or not depends on its angle to the lens.  The problem with wide angle lenses is that the field of view can include areas that are polarized and others that are not in the same frame.  Check your viewfinder.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #629103 by Nikon Shooter

F Anderson wrote: Here you go:Single Element 10-Stop Neutral Density with built in Polarizer eliminates the need for filter stacking (for Lenses over 35mm / Lenses under 35mm will cause cross polarization)"

Gibberish… if you ask me!

The product may be good but the sales pitch is nonsense!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629233 by Randy Shaw
:agree:  Not sure what Polar Pro was thinking there.  That doesn't make sense.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629426 by Pierce Steenken
I think who ever is writing their Amazon copy might be enjoying a little to much happy hour!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024