Testing a Lens In a Store?

4 months 1 week ago #629531 by Conner
When is the last time you tested a lens in an actual store?  Man do we all buy now just from assumptions or what we read?  I'm shopping for some new glass right now and just realized, all my lenses from the past few years were purchased with out even touching the lens first. 

So, the birth of this question, do you still go into a store to test a lens before you buy?

If not, what was the last lens you did that? 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 1 week ago #629550 by Nikon Shooter
I always buy by the local photo store. I am well known there now
and I can take anything to the studio prior to purchase.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

4 months 1 week ago #629593 by garyrhook
When I began my search for a superwide, I was fortunate enough to attend Imaging USA in San Antonio, where the Tamron folks would let you use lenses. So I got to compare a Tamson 15-30 against a Sigma (I forget which). The Tamron won for me. Now that I know enough about what lenses can do, and what compromises are required, I mostly buy long distance. It's worked out so far.

Photo Comments

4 months 1 week ago #629597 by GaryA
When I moved to Fuji, nearly all of my stuff has been purchased through a single brick & mortar store.  They give me very good pricing (B&H prices), wonderful service and I give them a lot of guff. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 months 1 week ago #629612 by Frost Photography
When I have time, Pauls Photo or Samy's out here.  Other than those, nope.  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments

4 months 1 week ago #629688 by KCook
Even though I am in a big city, my local stores simply do not have that wide a variety of lenses. So I try to rent (Lensrentals) before buying. But most of the time I just take my chances.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 months 1 week ago #629861 by Nikon Shooter

KCook wrote: …most of the time I just take my chances. Kelly

… I would not take any risks… to many bad experiences.

4 months 1 week ago #629866 by GaryA

Nikon Shooter wrote:

KCook wrote: …most of the time I just take my chances. Kelly

… I would not take any risks… to many bad experiences.

Which is interesting because, over the decades I've been shooting, I've never returned any newly acquired equipment. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 months 1 week ago #629879 by Nikon Shooter

GaryA wrote: Which is interesting because, over the decades I've been shooting, I've never returned any newly acquired equipment. 

When I buy gear, it is for life and I'm just hard to please possibly.

4 months 6 days ago #629937 by Ted Baker
Not in some time, I order from B&H or Amazon and that's it. 

Photo Comments

4 months 5 days ago #630249 by Sassy Girl
Not since I bought my first camera!  

Photo Comments

4 months 4 days ago #630349 by Tony Imaging
Here I go to OC Camera, Pauls Photo or Samy's to test out new gear. 

Photo Comments

4 months 4 days ago #630354 by the four vignettes
Generally, if it's used it's off of eBay, so no trying before buying.  If it's new, I'll do the normal research before buying, then go in the store and take some test shots and see if I can reproduce what the reviews and research said should happen.  Then if I still want the new lens, I go in and buy it.  I'm lucky to live near Precision Camera though 

4 months 4 days ago #630379 by Glen Martin
When ever I have the time.  Time being the tricky part these days!

Photo Comments

4 months 3 days ago #630483 by Deb Reardon
So few stores are around these days, with the exception of NY and California, most center states don't have big camera store options anymore?

BestBuy, but that is all mostly super consumer right? 

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Panasonic Lumix ZS200 review, learn why it is one of the best bridge cameras and one of the best travel camera options on the market today.

Jun 12, 2019

In this Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III review, learn why this little micro four thirds camera is such a good buy in 2019.

Jun 06, 2019

FujiFilm just dropped the highest-resolution mirrorless camera to date, the 102-megapixel GFX100. In this FujiFilm GFX100 review, we take a look at all the essential specs of this game-changing camera.

May 29, 2019

In the Canon 5D Mark IV vs Canon 6D Mark II, which one wins? In this comparison review, learn about the essential specs, features, pricing, and more, of these Canon cameras.

May 27, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

It's been about a month since I got the Peak Design Travel Tripod. I was impressed out of the gate, and after a few weeks of use, I'm even more impressed now!

Jun 14, 2019

Photographing Oregon should be on any serious landscape photographer's bucket list, as it offers a wide range of breathtaking landscapes, from waterfalls to soaring mountains, coastlines to high deserts.

Jun 14, 2019

Via NASA Beam me up, Scottie! A dune shaped like the famous Star Trek logo was just discovered by NASA on the surface of Mars, and even William Shatner...

Jun 14, 2019

Ever wondered what the perfect blend of video and photos would look like? Fujifilm thinks its an instant photo with audio capabilities. And everyone is...

Jun 13, 2019

Growing up I always wanted to be a National Geographic photographer. Their lives seemed so glamorous, filled with many thanks for their contributions to the...

Jun 13, 2019

In this tutorial, learn a few basic steps and general guidelines that will help you learn how to improve black and white fine art photography.

Jun 13, 2019

In this Panasonic Lumix ZS200 review, learn why it is one of the best bridge cameras and one of the best travel camera options on the market today.

Jun 12, 2019

There's plenty of Fujifilm X-Pro 3 rumors floating around, including the assumption that the camera will be released later this year. Get the scoop on what to expect from Fuji's new X-Pro 3.

Jun 12, 2019