Canon is now leading the mirrorless market Sony?

5 years 2 months ago #630851 by Toby J
A couple weeks ago, there was a blog post talking about how the owner of Canon was forecasting some aggressive future for Canon, also that blog positioned Canon as taking the lead in the mirrorless race. 

But I was thinking about that this morning and wondering how valid this was.  Canon JUST got into the space (at least seriously), where as Sony has been at it for much longer.  

Thoughts?

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #630857 by garyrhook
That was a stated goal. 50%? Unlikely, given Sony's lead in that area.

That said, a lot of people like Canon equipment.

I think the guy was blowing hot air, and it's far too early to tell how it will shake out.

It's also important to keep in mind that "mirrorless" encompasses a variety for models: micro 4/3s, cropped, full. It's the future, and it's wide open.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #630860 by Shadowfixer1
They sell a lot of M-50's in the far east marketplace, not so much in the western cultures but still a fair amount. That is why they have a large marketshare of mirrorless. It's true that they are just getting into the full frame mirrorless and in my opinion they will sell a bunch of the EOS RP models on price alone. There is a ton of glass out there that will work perfectly with an adaptor. Lots of people will say look at the specs such as the slow frame rate, only up to 1/4000 second shutter, etc. Most of that stuff means didly to the majority of people. They will see full frame, lightweight and I can use my old lenses on it. Canon just threw the gauntlet down for sales. It will be interesting to see everyone's response. I had a play with the EOS R and didn't like it at all ergonomics wise. Canon's just feel strange in my hand. I also tried the Nikon Z6. It was better but nothing like my old F100 film camera that I compare to everything. The best feeling modern camera in my hands is the one I currently own. The Olympus E-M1 Mark II. It fits like it was custom made for me. Enough rambling from me.   
5 years 2 months ago #630865 by GaryA

Shadowfixer1 wrote: They sell a lot of M-50's in the far east marketplace, not so much in the western cultures but still a fair amount. That is why they have a large marketshare of mirrorless. It's true that they are just getting into the full frame mirrorless and in my opinion they will sell a bunch of the EOS RP models on price alone. There is a ton of glass out there that will work perfectly with an adaptor. Lots of people will say look at the specs such as the slow frame rate, only up to 1/4000 second shutter, etc. Most of that stuff means didly to the majority of people. They will see full frame, lightweight and I can use my old lenses on it. Canon just threw the gauntlet down for sales. It will be interesting to see everyone's response. I had a play with the EOS R and didn't like it at all ergonomics wise. Canon's just feel strange in my hand. I also tried the Nikon Z6. It was better but nothing like my old F100 film camera that I compare to everything. The best feeling modern camera in my hands is the one I currently own. The Olympus E-M1 Mark II. It fits like it was custom made for me. Enough rambling from me.   

Have you worked/shot with Fuji?  Coming from film ... Nikon F series, then Canon and Oly MTF ... I've evolved into Fuji as a great compromise between the small footprint of MFT and the exceptional IQ of FF.  I love the Fuji handling, similar to the old SLR's with all the good stuff, shutter speed, ISO, et al, all on top the camera with aperture on the lenses.    

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 months ago #630867 by Toby J

garyrhook wrote: That was a stated goal. 50%? Unlikely, given Sony's lead in that area.

That said, a lot of people like Canon equipment.

I think the guy was blowing hot air, and it's far too early to tell how it will shake out.

It's also important to keep in mind that "mirrorless" encompasses a variety for models: micro 4/3s, cropped, full. It's the future, and it's wide open.

That's what I thought, seemed like an audacious statement.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #630870 by Shadowfixer1

GaryA wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: They sell a lot of M-50's in the far east marketplace, not so much in the western cultures but still a fair amount. That is why they have a large marketshare of mirrorless. It's true that they are just getting into the full frame mirrorless and in my opinion they will sell a bunch of the EOS RP models on price alone. There is a ton of glass out there that will work perfectly with an adaptor. Lots of people will say look at the specs such as the slow frame rate, only up to 1/4000 second shutter, etc. Most of that stuff means didly to the majority of people. They will see full frame, lightweight and I can use my old lenses on it. Canon just threw the gauntlet down for sales. It will be interesting to see everyone's response. I had a play with the EOS R and didn't like it at all ergonomics wise. Canon's just feel strange in my hand. I also tried the Nikon Z6. It was better but nothing like my old F100 film camera that I compare to everything. The best feeling modern camera in my hands is the one I currently own. The Olympus E-M1 Mark II. It fits like it was custom made for me. Enough rambling from me.   

Have you worked/shot with Fuji?  Coming from film ... Nikon F series, then Canon and Oly MTF ... I've evolved into Fuji as a great compromise between the small footprint of MFT and the exceptional IQ of FF.  I love the Fuji handling, similar to the old SLR's with all the good stuff, shutter speed, ISO, et al, all on top the camera with aperture on the lenses.    

I have played with the Fuji. I really like Fuji cameras. I had one of the first S2-Pro cameras in the area. It was a good camera. I wanted the Fuji XT-1 when it came out but I went with the Olympus side due to price and weight. I bought the E-M10 originally. It was just going to be a travel camera to go along with my Nikon gear. The thing is I never used the Nikon gear after buying it, so I sold all of it. I moved up to the E-M1 and last year I moved up to the Mark II. I do like the Fuji stuff but I am too invested in Olympus to switch. 
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #630871 by GaryA

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

GaryA wrote:

I have played with the Fuji. I really like Fuji cameras. I had one of the first S2-Pro cameras in the area. It was a good camera. I wanted the Fuji XT-1 when it came out but I went with the Olympus side due to price and weight. I bought the E-M10 originally. It was just going to be a travel camera to go along with my Nikon gear. The thing is I never used the Nikon gear after buying it, so I sold all of it. I moved up to the E-M1 and last year I moved up to the Mark II. I do like the Fuji stuff but I am too invested in Olympus to switch. 

I was completely outfitted with Oly EM-I's when I saw a XP1 in my camera store.  I thought it was beautiful ... so beautiful that I purchased it upon first look. I didn't care about the IQ or handling ... I just cared about how it looked hanging off my shoulder.  (okay, I'm shallow.)  The XP1 is a dog of a camera in terms of speed.  It did everything slow ... and when it got dark, all the camera could do was howl.  But I loved the few lenses that Fuji initially delivered with the XP1 and the IQ was the closest to film of any digital camera I've owned. The XP1 was so slow that I had to restructure how I shot.  My Canon 1D's, Oly EM-I's and II focus quickly and I was able to capture action in a reactionary manner.  I see something, I raise the camera to my eye and boom-boom-boom ... I got it.  The XP1 didn't work that way.  By the time it focused ... the shot was gone, the image morf-ing, moving on into something different than what I first saw and desired.  With the XP1, my shooting style and methodology had to be anticipatory.  I had to think about what I wanted, I had to think about what was about to happen ... then set myself up, preposition myself, focus then wait for the desired shot to appear ... then boom.  It took me back to my film days, back to my roots.  The doggy XP1 reminded me of how to give a lot of thought to my photography, to a single shot ... to anticipate ... to wait.  The doggy XP1 made me a better photog. Now, even though I use newer, lighting fast, Fuji's, I still shoot single frame for nearly all stuff.  Doing so has significantly elevated my keeper rate and significantly reduced my post time.

(I gave all my MFT stuff to my kids.)

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadowfixer1
5 years 2 months ago #630903 by Pete Franko
It will be some time before Canon catches up to Sony.  Something major would need to happen to either brand to make that happen. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #631048 by Toby J
So can we assume this title is way out of the question for Nikon?  ha ha ha

Speaking of which so top 3 leaders would be Canon, Sony and Nikon in that order then?  Speaking of total market share right now.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #631049 by Baydream
I think this is an open question that begs for qualification. Adding is eastern sales does seem to give Canon and "lead" overall. The newest small full-frame mirrorless is an interesting move by Canon to capture additional market for the future. It provides an entry point that is unique and will, like the original EOS Rebel, build a new following. This will be an interesting subject to follow over the next couple of years. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #631058 by Toby J
When you say "Eastern" sales, are you talking about Asia?  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #631092 by JaneK
It could happen if Canon keeps going with the mirrorless systems and converting others to mirrorless from their other cameras.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #631364 by CaptNemo
I'm sure Canon would love for that to be the current day fact, however they have a ways to go before catching up to Sony.  Sony has become the 900lb gorilla in this space.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #631714 by Rob Cline
With all that said, where does Fuji fall into this who mirrorless market share ranking these days?  They have really good cameras.  A good friend of mine just picked up Fuji x-t30.  Very nice camera.  I don't know much about their specs from a person hands on standpoint, but the one thing I've always enjoyed about the Fuji brand is they keep with this retro feel to their cameras.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #631729 by GaryA

Rob Cline wrote: With all that said, where does Fuji fall into this who mirrorless market share ranking these days?  They have really good cameras.  A good friend of mine just picked up Fuji x-t30.  Very nice camera.  I don't know much about their specs from a person hands on standpoint, but the one thing I've always enjoyed about the Fuji brand is they keep with this retro feel to their cameras.  

I think Fuji is sorta in a speciality market and is a bit expensive. On paper, you can get a lot more camera and lenses for the same monies ... but in the field, you get what you paid for.  Not only retro styling but retro handling, all the 'important' settings are dials/switches/levers on the outside of the camera.  You don't have to menu dive for aperture (on the lens), shutter speed, ISO, et al ... it's all  there at your fingertips. All those mechanical dials/switches/levers are expensive to implement, menu diving is a much cheaper way to go.  The cameras are very well made and feel solid in the hand.  The first time I picked up a XP1, it took me back to my Nikon F. The XF lenses are great, some lenses may be considered better than other lenses, but they are all exceptional ... no dogs.  Again, it took me back to my old Nikon days, back when Nikon made only one level of lens ... they best they could. Because 'X' series Fuji's are relative newcomers to the camera market, they are still lacking a lens lineup even close to the big boys (Nikon and Canon).  On the flip side of the coin, because it is a brand new camera with a brand new mount, the cameras and lenses have been completely designed for digital without any homage to older lenses and accessories that have been around for decades. 

I guess Goggle will tell you where Fuji is in sales ... just remember that Fuji is more of a niche type of camera.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024