Your biggest photography fail?

5 years 1 month ago #631398 by Robert Chen
I raised the bar on myself today.  I was shooting a wedding next to lake, and I decided to get the vantage point from the water.  I set down my 24-70mm on the doc and as I was back up to frame up my shot, I accidentally kicked my lens into the lake!  @#$%^^!!

BTW while posting today, anyone interested in a freshly washed 24-70mm that I'm selling?  :whistle:  LMAO

Making a joke out a crappy situation is the best I can do today! 

How about you, what is your biggest fail? 

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631406 by Nikon Shooter

Robert Chen wrote: How about you, what is your biggest fail? 

Ten years ago, I was assigned to shoot a European conference
for a national magazine. The whole morning started very early.
A long 2 hour drive to the capital and rushing through accredi-
tations and security did not help.

In position and ready to shoot, a colleague from a concurrent 
press agency is begging for a CF card as he had not taken any
along. I thought I had none but nevertheless reached in all my
pockets so to look like I was really searching and — oh surprise,
I found one. He was very grateful.

It was the only card my then wife thought to include for the job.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631408 by Inez Villarin
Last spring I drove 3 hours to a client who paid me very well, and I get there and all my memory cards were not in my camera bag.  They were on my desk at home after I formatted them all the night before and didn't put back in my camera bag!  I had to go to Best Buy to get 2 new cards. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631419 by KCook
Agreeing to shoot a wedding in the first place. I had absolutely no clue, and the results showed it.

downinflames

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 1 month ago #631473 by Hassner
I shot a wedding in film days. 
I wanted to do a quick film swop, having one ready in my hand. I must have done a double roll in my hand, because one film was blank, the other one double exposed, the only shots with the bride's grandmother.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631568 by Juan Anthony
Mines kind of lame compared to yours.  Just washed a memory card once.   

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631570 by spudalicious
The latest in a long string of fails for me.   Just yesterday, I was standing in the middle of a creek at the base of a falls.   Dropped my polarizer into the mud and rocks at my feet.   Evidently, that wasn't good enough because then, I proceeded slip then step on it and break it good.   gahhhh!!!  To top it all off, the shot was garbage anyway lol.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631572 by GaryA
Back in the ‘70s, we were hippies and we’d smoke weed in our darkrooms.  I remember covering a building fire in downtown Anaheim.  I rushed there, grabbed my stuff from the trunk, and saw this fire ...it was huge, engulfing this ten story building, it was powerful, hot, tossing smoke up to the stars, and it was all right there in front of me ... fire tucks with lights flashing, firemen rushing about dragging these giant hoses, bright red flames errupting out of windows.  It was all there for me, nicely laid out at my feet.  When I returned to the office and went into my darkroom, I realized I hadn’t exposed a single frame.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 1 month ago #631589 by Jared-Weaver
I've dropped a brand spanking new Manfrotto 056 magnesium ballhead straight onto concrete the fist time I attempted to attach it to my tripod. 

Dropped a $120 dollar B+W ND filter straight onto pavement while trying to screw it onto the front of my lens. 

Fumbled my old T2i and almost dropped it off a cliff. 

Tried to wipe the screen of my 6D off with my sleeve not knowing that sharp volcanic rocks was sticking to it, leaving two deep scratches. 

Forgot to charge my batteries during a long walk through San Francisco. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631712 by Rob Cline
Had lens cap on while photographing lightning storm with a trigger and ended up missing awesome shots.

Camera and lens fell after one of my tripod legs wasn't tightened all the way and collapsed causing the tripod to fall forward with my camera and lens.  Lucky for me, it fell in beach sand.  

Tried blowing out camera and lens after it fell to sand, used a blower and in the process of inspecting and removing sand, got sand inside camera and in between focus rings on lens.  Ended up having to send in camera and lens to have professionally cleaned.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631740 by Nikon Shooter

Rob Cline wrote: ended up missing awesome shots. 

Rob, that confirms what was said… 
—" … the best shots are the missed shots!"
I think we all went through that predicament. :rofl:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631748 by KCook

Hassner wrote: I shot a wedding in film days. 
I wanted to do a quick film swop, having one ready in my hand. I must have done a double roll in my hand, because one film was blank, the other one double exposed, the only shots with the bride's grandmother.

Yikes!  That beats my wedding :kmonst:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 1 month ago #631774 by Stanly
I dropped a 105mm a few years ago.  I had set the lens down on a table and it rolled off.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631843 by Happy Hour
Technically this was my husbands fail.  4 years ago, I had my camera on the dinner table and we were just getting settled in.  While turning around to help me out, his elbow knocked a glass of red table wine into my camera.  That was the biggest mess to clean up! 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631845 by Shadowfixer1
I was photographing at the Birmingham, Alabama zoo and a cardinal flew up and I got some of the closest most amazing bird images until I looked down at my counter and it said 39. Yep, I had forgotten to make sure the film leader caught and was loaded correctly. I don't miss those days especially when happening upon an amazing scene and ……….it was time to change film rolls.   

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024

In the great Canon R6 vs R6 Mark II, which one is best? Is it the original, groundbreaking R6 or the mildly updated and newer R6 Mark II? Let’s dive in and find out!

Apr 03, 2024