Juggling photography while on vacation

5 years 1 month ago #632221 by Dave Burburry
My wife and I just got back from San Jose Cabo, Mexico and had a perfectly lovely time.  What is so out there about this trip is that I couldn't put my camera down.  I always felt compelled to find a shot in every situation we were in.  At the time, it didn't seem off.  However now that I'm back and reflecting on the amount of time I spent finding shots, I feel I didn't really get a vacation in the traditional sense.  

Do you ever feel this way after taking a vacation?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632224 by Nikon Shooter
My only possible vacation is to shoot something different;
the idea of spending a day without camera(s) is hideous.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632225 by GaryA
In general, family vacations and photography don't mix.  If the wife isn't into photography, than most likely she was bored or went off on her own exploration(s).  A camera is always a must for snapshots, but one has to make a choice between family and vacation. Baja has so much to offer ... it is just so photogenic ... that it is tough not to stop and shoot ... look around every corner and shoot, drive over the next ridge line and shoot, stop at every cove and shoot. I recommend to separate family vacations from photo excursions. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #632226 by GaryA

Nikon Shooter wrote: My only possible vacation is to shoot something different;

When I was shooting news, (which involved considerable travel), for my vacations I would stay at home and simply hang. (I lived at the beach and I vividly remember grabbing my first cup of coffee and just sitting in the sand, watching the waves roll in ... feel the sun warm up the air ... seeing the day move ahead with me being still.

(sans camera)

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 1 month ago #632228 by Dave Burburry

Nikon Shooter wrote: My only possible vacation is to shoot something different;

I know right?

Now would you consider your iPhone or other smart phone as a camera for those days you don't have your big camera? 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632254 by JaneK
Easy, I set the golden hour and blue hour for photography, the rest is for enjoying myself.  During those family hours, if I want to take a photo, I use my iPhone.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632258 by Nikon Shooter

Dave Burburry wrote: Now would you consider your iPhone or other smart phone as a camera for those days you don't have your big camera? 

No way. If I go on holiday, I'd go places I've never been and
only the real gear can support my ambitions toys can't.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632339 by Prago
That's why I prefer to travel alone, that way I can stop and take photos when ever I want.  For me, that is every bit important as the vacation itself.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633007 by Marinan
Mostly, I use my smartphone. TBH, I don't enjoy walking around with a camera on my neck while on vacations. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633061 by coupe
I totally understand what you mean, whilst I don't really get that feeling that I haven't had a holiday as such, I do get the feeling at times that I should actually just put the camera down and enjoy it a little more through my eyes instead of the viewfinder.
I now try to limit my "photo" time, either a day solely set aside for it or just limit it to the time I know the light should be good. 

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #633104 by Troponin
Some things I have learned while on vacation...

1. Choose times that you can go out on your own. 

We take “rest days” on our vacation. A day for everyone to catch some sleep and get rejuvenated for the rest of the trip. I use this morning to go out for sunrise. 

2. If others want to come along, let them know your plans and tell them it’s important to you to stick to that plan. 

I wanted to go to a bird sanctuary to take photos. I got up at 6am, had some coffee, and people started rolling out of bed at 8. Didn’t get there until 10am, but by that point, it was no longer adequate for photos. Needless to say, I was irritated that everyone was terribly inconsiderate.  Later I realized my expectations of a morning out taking bird photographs is much different than your average person. Let them know that you will be leaving at a certain time and  what your plan is and that they are more than welcome to “tagalong”.  They could even meet you out there later in the morning.

3. Learn to accept snapshots as part of photography.

No, it’s not technically a photograph, but you will be much happier that you captured those great memories without sacrificing time with loved ones.  Think about what lens is the easiest to take snapshots. A lot of folks like the 35mm and 50mm for snapshots for exactly this reason. They also don’t distort quite as much as 28mm and wider, allowing more portrait type shots and not worrying about weird, curved lines when/if you crop or the camera wasn’t perfectly straight.

4. Plan!

This doesn’t just mean plan all your shots at the start of the trip. This also means if you see something, is it possible to come back and get a better shot when you aren’t holding back the fam/vacation. I also used another idea where we ate in areas of great shots. It gave us something to do while waiting for our reservation/table. Taking photos of fam and birds having drinks on the beach, at the outdoor area etc. I have a couple great snapshots of us sitting and waiting with some cool shots of birds etc that came up to use. 

5. Final thoughts

One of the topics that has come up in recent years is a phenomenon where folks are no longer creating memories because they spent so much time behind a camera/phone. They record everything, but neglect to actually watch or experience the event.  They are missing out on really great stuff. Instead, set up your camera to record without a need to hold or watch it. At other times, consider just putting it down completely and enjoy the moment. :)

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633253 by Garbo
On vacation you do what makes you happy.  For me, bring the camera to capture the memories.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633422 by Olivia
When I'm by myself, I'll take my big camera with me.  When out with family, it's my small mirrorless or my iPhone.  My husband is pretty understanding and knows how important photography is to me.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024