F-stop and sensor size

5 years 1 month ago #632640 by Piechura
I was wondering if there was any formula that tells you how bright the same f-stop would be on different sensor sizes. For example, I know that f4 on a full frame sensor should deliver a brighter image than f4 on a micro four-thirds sensor, all other settings being the same. But with that in mind, what f-stop would I need on the micro four-thirds to make it the equivalent brightness as f4 on a full frame? Is it something that can simply be determined by the sensor size or is there more to it than that?

5 years 1 month ago #632643 by spudalicious
Hi  Piechura .   Sensor sizes and equivalence have generated a massive amount of online discussion.  And there is math involved.   Most of it is way over my head but, in the real world, there is this...

I shoot mainly on the M43 sensor size.   For my purposes, I've never seen a noticeable difference.   Let's say I have a 35mm 2.8 lens.   When I put that lens on my Olympus the amount of light that reaches my M43 sensor @ F/2.8 is the same as the amount of light that would hit my sensor if I were to put that same lens in front of a FF sensor.    I'm merely only using the cropped portion of what comes through the lens.

Where you will absolutely notice a difference is in DOF.   At F/8 on my M43 I can expect (roughly) the same DOF as would be seen @ F/16 on a full frame sensor camera.  However, the light coming in (in practical use) is the same for both sensors.

I hope I didn't confuse more than help.   I'm not that great at this sort of thing.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632652 by garyrhook
Brightness? That won't change. As stated above, DoF will change, which a larger pixel (circle of confusion) working towards a more shallow depth of field.

But light is light, and an aperture measurement is based on geometry. I don't think the number of photons that land on a given area of sensor is affected by that.

I could be wrong.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632659 by Shadowfixer1
f-4 is f-4 no matter what size sensor. If you buy the most expensive light meter available you won't find a setting for sensor size. Like Gary said, the DOF will change but f-stop and shutter speed are the same across the board from 4/3's cameras to medium and large format. Some manufacturers calibrate a little differently but theoretically they should be the same. 
5 years 1 month ago #632660 by Nikon Shooter
In the example of the image, there will be a light metering
difference. The difference will be related to the proportion
of mountain in the frame vs the less sky. I don't know of a
formula to work with.

Formulae — like equations — will permit to predict, reprodu-
ce, a result in given conditions. It is challenging to come to
such predictions where too many changing variables in an
unstable system happen at the same time.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632784 by Piechura
So when people recommend full frame for low light photography, they're talking about other settings that make them preferable? Like larger pixels and more usable ISO?

My real world question therefore is if you had a full frame camera with a 24-70mm f4 lens and a micro four thirds camera with a 12-35mm f2.8, and you put all of the settings the same (with the equivalent focal length taking into account the crop factor) but both lenses wide open, the micro four-thirds camera should take a picture that's twice as bright?

I know that neither of those lenses would be particularly amazing for low light photography, it's just for comparison purposes.

One thing my current camera really struggles with is taking a crisp image of anything moving at night. But I think that's more down to the lack of usable ISO than anything else.

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #632785 by spudalicious
Yep.  You got it.  Larger sensors have less ISO noise.   

You are correct.   if you shot f/4 on a full frame and f/2.8 on m43  the m43 image would be brighter. assuming everything else is equal (and focal length accounted for)  Different strokes for different folks but, I usually try not to exceed 1600 iso on my older olympus.  Sometimes I may push it up to 3200 if I plan on doing some sort of post processing averaging.  

Most often, If I am struggling with getting low light shots of moving objects in focus, it is because my shutter speed is too slow.  I get bit in the butt on that one from time to time. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632787 by Nikon Shooter

Piechura wrote: …other settings that make them preferable? Like larger pixels and more usable ISO?

Of my four cameras, the D3S is my go to tool when it comes
to low light; with "only" 12 MP in a full size sensor, it is still un-
beatable today. Progresses make possible better low light cap-
tures and brilliant converters will improve their renditions but
not yet at the level of quality of that single digit body.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632789 by garyrhook
For those that are interested...

Not that I'm an F-stoppers fan, but this article has photos that make it pretty clear re: the above assertion.

fstoppers.com/gear/nikon-d4-vs-d3s-d3-an...3s-wins-updated-6245

There's something to be said for fatter pixels.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632795 by Piechura
Yeah I know the Sony A7S is famous for its low light performance too because it's got so few megapixels on a full-sized sensor.

5 years 1 month ago #632804 by Nikon Shooter
—  …re: the above assertion.

I owned and operated the D3S and D3X since 2011. I got lot more tests
and shoots performed and shares my experiences.

It is easy to question anything with resources that can't be controlled.
I know that the camera you don't have, nor the experience.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632807 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: —  …re: the above assertion.

I owned and operated the D3S and D3X since 2011. I got lot more tests
and shoots performed and shares my experiences.

It is easy to question anything with resources that can't be controlled.
I know that the camera you don't have, nor the experience.

I have no idea what that means, unless you're just trying to assert how much of an expert you are. Which, frankly, coemes across as arrogant.

The article AGREES with you that the D3s is a superior to those against which it was compared. In other words, I found another source to support and corroborate your claim.

But I guess you don't need confirmation from anyone but yourself?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632809 by Nikon Shooter
If so, I apologies sincerely…
  1. to have misunderstood your post
  2. not to have your level of English to express my self as in French
As the said arrogance goes, I can't do much about it because if you
receive it as such, it was never the way it was meant and sent.

Yes, I do have some experience and some expertise. I have good fun
to share some of it with the members of our forum but I'm not here
to aggress anyone… not even passively.
Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632812 by GaryA

Nikon Shooter wrote: If so, I apologies sincerely…

1. to have misunderstood your post
  2. not to have your level of English to express my self as in French
As the said arrogance goes, I can't do much about it because if you
receive it as such, it was never the way it was meant and sent.

Yes, I do have some experience and some expertise. I have good fun
to share some of it with the members of our forum but I'm not here
to aggress anyone… not even passively.
Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Aha !  Francais est votre langue maternelle.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 1 month ago #632815 by Nikon Shooter

GaryA wrote: Aha !  Francais est votre langue maternelle.

Oui, le Français est ma langue. Les contributions faites
à ce forum sont traduites par google translate avec tous
les aléas possibles que ça peut contenir.

Allez… cheers Gary! :P

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024