Camera batteries and cold

5 years 1 month ago #633105 by One Wish
When I was growing up my best friends parents kept batteries in the fridge till they were used.  Something about keeping the batteries fresher.  If that being the case, why do our camera batteries get weaker when we expose them to cold weather?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633106 by Nikon Shooter
The answer is so simple! :P

The energy of batteries comes from the whichever electro-che-
mical compound that it is stuffed with. Sure you know that che-
mical reactions are slowed down in the cold and activated when
warm. That was true when you were growing up and still is.

Modern compounds have very long shelf lives and your kids will
have forgotten that "ritual" practice… as you should. :P HTH.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633109 by Troponin
^^^ And to add to what NS said, an easy solution to this is to keep your spare battery in a warm pocket and switch them out regularly. When they warm up, they will get some of their charge back. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633117 by One Wish
AHHH, gotcha.  Well it's kind of tough to stuff all 6 spare batteries in your pocket when you head out.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633261 by Scott Klubeck
That's what I do, I just bring a few with me, keep them in my pocket and call it a day.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633264 by Nikon Shooter

One Wish wrote: AHHH, gotcha.  Well it's kind of tough to stuff all 6 spare batteries in your pocket when you head out.  

Scott Klubeck wrote: That's what I do, I just bring a few with me, keep them in my pocket and call it a day.  

Since all my camera have a grip, 8 batteries find a place
in each and I only have to change packs.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633408 by Conner
OMG my grandmother use to keep batteries in the fridge all the time! ha ha ha, this thread brings back old memories.  She would always come up with funny stories why they were in there.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633566 by Roman Omell
I don't stick my camera batteries in my fridge, but when I do go out, I'll generally stick a few in my pockets. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635828 by Troponin

Conner wrote: OMG my grandmother use to keep batteries in the fridge all the time! ha ha ha, this thread brings back old memories.  She would always come up with funny stories why they were in there.  

I had friends that did this growing up too, so I am familiar. It's believed that storing the older designs of batteries would slow their discharge rate. The problem is, storing in the fridge can damage and corrode batteries, so whether it works or not, it's highly discouraged. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #638793 by Chase Audate
Luckily, the cold is going away, and warmth is around the corner!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024