Internal camera sensor cleaning feature a hoax?

5 years 1 month ago #633421 by Olivia
If your sensor has stuff on it and you trigger your cameras sensor cleaning option.  Have you ever had it work?  IF there is something on the sensor, what does it do with it? It's not like it's going to spit it outside the camera right?  

See what I'm saying here? 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633424 by Nikon Shooter
No hoax but very limited to statically attached particles.
Will not help against bunnies and such!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633434 by KenMan
Yeah, not a hoax.  Not sure how it works, but frankly haven't used mine in some time.  I just send it off to be cleaned when it needs it.  Or use a blower thing.  Generally I'll try the blower first, then send off for more formal cleaning.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633540 by Rob Conley
Not a hoax, just doesn't work the way we all would like it to work.  I don't use mine either. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633547 by Shadowfixer1
People that think it is a hoax have never used an Olympus camera. I am amazed at how clean the sensor stays on my Olympus cameras. I have never had to clean one yet. 
5 years 1 month ago #633553 by Troponin
It works on my a7riii. It shakes the sensor pretty vigorously. It’s only purpose is to ensure there isn’t any large debris that has the potential to scratch the sensor if you attempt to clean it with a wipe. It doesn’t work well on dust though. Dust “clings” to the sensor and sometimes the only way to clean it off is to use
solution and the sensor wipes. 

That said, I’m not sure the shaking has added benefit over the little sensor bulb/blower thing. I follow the directions for cleaning regardless. Sensor cleaning makes me very nervous

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633740 by Frost Photography
I've not used mine in some time.  As I recall, it's good for light cleaning.  If you have pound of mud slung onto your sensor, yeah, good luck with that.  I too just send mine off for cleaning, or from time to time blow things out.  I think I'll revisit mine today and check this puppy out! 

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633746 by GaryA
My early dSLR's did not have any type of internal sensor cleaning.  I was constantly cleaning the sensors.  I find the on-board sensor cleaning works and works well.  I have my Fuji's set to shake on Powerup and Powerdown and have yet to personally clean the sensors.  It has been years since I've cleaned a sensor. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 1 month ago #633797 by Duncan K
When did they start putting these sensor cleaners into our cameras? 

5 years 1 month ago #633849 by Troponin

Duncan K wrote: When did they start putting these sensor cleaners into our cameras? 

I don’t think it became a major  feature until the mirrorless market took off. I’m assuming it’s because they are exposed every single time you take off the lens and are far more susceptible. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633971 by Mason Latka
"Hoax" sounds so like conspiracy or X files like.  I'd bet it's just misunderstood as to what it's completely designed to do vs what some peoples perception of it is.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024