What do you do when airline makes you check your camera gear?

5 years 1 month ago #633705 by Kenya See
I just got back from doing a little traveling and during one of the final legs of my trip, I was boarding a smaller plane and I was told that I had to check in my camera bag.  I told the guy working the counter that it was a camera bag and that I didn't want it below the plane.  He told me that I had to.  I had no choice, either board with my camera bag below, or not board.  With the exception of my nice tan bag getting dirty, there was no damage.

Are there any tricks to getting around this?  Not to ask a dumb question, but you never know so I'm going to ask.  

Thank you.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633709 by garyrhook
Smaller planes have limited space; this is not a surprise. On a recent trip I had to gate check my Pelican case. Picked it up on the jetway after we landed. No worries.

The only reason you don't want your camera equipment checked it the possibility of theft. Gate checking and pickup avoids that hazard.

I've learned over the years that luggage and cases for travel shouldn't be "pretty," they should be tough.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633751 by Moe
Have you ever had anything stolen that was checked?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633758 by Jared-Weaver
I've been handed a gate check tag and each time I just smile and ask them if they want to be responsible for 5 grand in camera equipment. They have all backed off. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633760 by garyrhook

Moe wrote: Have you ever had anything stolen that was checked?

Me? No.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633761 by garyrhook

Jared-Weaver wrote: I've been handed a gate check tag and each time I just smile and ask them if they want to be responsible for 5 grand in camera equipment. They have all backed off. 

That surprises me, since the purchase of a ticket is a contract (to which you agree) that says they're not responsible past a certain dollar amount. And gate checking means your item goes directly into the plane, and comes right back out again at the destination. The possibility of something going wrong is extremely remote. Thefts occur in the bowels of the baggage handling area under the terminal, I think?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633866 by Rob Conley
Now IF something did get damaged while it was below the plane after you expressed concerns about having your expensive gear stored below, who's out of pocket here?  

Think about what your luggage looks like after a plane ride.  It's all dirty and almost always some new bash or gash is present on it.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633875 by Amy Porter

Rob Conley wrote: Now IF something did get damaged while it was below the plane after you expressed concerns about having your expensive gear stored below, who's out of pocket here?  

Think about what your luggage looks like after a plane ride.  It's all dirty and almost always some new bash or gash is present on it.  

Normal wear would be a tough one to pursue, however if your camera was crushed or damaged then the airline would be financially responsible.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #633881 by garyrhook

Amy Porter wrote:

Rob Conley wrote: Now IF something did get damaged while it was below the plane after you expressed concerns about having your expensive gear stored below, who's out of pocket here?  

Normal wear would be a tough one to pursue, however if your camera was crushed or damaged then the airline would be financially responsible.  

I repeat: up to the limit specified in the terms on the ticket. You need to read the contract.

Google "united breaks guitars" to see just how wrong things can go.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633913 by Moe
LOL I remember that one. United  ended up losing $190 million On that one. When they finally gave the guitar player the $3000. He had made so much off of YouTube video ads that he just donated the $$.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634025 by Overread
If you haven't seen it, here you go, kind of catchy tune!  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634026 by Overread
Him getting interviewed: 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634169 by Jennifer Krueger
I would take my camera out of the bag and let everything else ride.  Cross fingers and call it a day.  At the end, the airlines have to be mindful of what space is available.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634202 by Ben Vanderbilt
When your bag is tagged properly, damage isn't the big issue.  Theft is.  But I'd bet if they checked the bag at the airplane, that risk goes why down.  

Honestly, I've not been put in the position where I was asked to check my bag with camera in it.  So can't comment from experience.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634206 by Ben Vanderbilt

garyrhook wrote:

Jared-Weaver wrote: I've been handed a gate check tag and each time I just smile and ask them if they want to be responsible for 5 grand in camera equipment. They have all backed off. 

That surprises me, since the purchase of a ticket is a contract (to which you agree) that says they're not responsible past a certain dollar amount. And gate checking means your item goes directly into the plane, and comes right back out again at the destination. The possibility of something going wrong is extremely remote. Thefts occur in the bowels of the baggage handling area under the terminal, I think?

:agree: exactly!  Once out at the plane, this risk goes way down. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024