Would you take job as cruise ship photographer?

5 years 1 month ago #633721 by Tristan R
I've been wanting to try something new and a friend of mine suggested I take the job as being a cruise line onboard photographer.  Sounds like a good time to me, but just wondering if I'd grow out of it at any time, aka, it got old.  

Seems like it will be a good opportunity to see the world and try something new.  

Would you do it? 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633723 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Tristan

You adopt the mantra of 'camera operator' every shot. 'stand here - look there - smile - flash' and after a thousand or so you might still enjoy it

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 1 month ago #633729 by Nikon Shooter
I did it one summer. Two runs on a cruise to the Arctic.
A chance to meet a lot of people, make contacts, and
the possibility to earn very well if one is clever.

I was then 20 years old and now I'm 23…

for the third time!  :rofl:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633733 by Tristan R

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Tristan

You adopt the mantra of 'camera operator' every shot. 'stand here - look there - smile - flash' and after a thousand or so you might still enjoy it

Did you do this, or are doing cruise ship photography?  You sound from experience, I was wondering about just how 'routine' things get and wonder how much creativity do you have.  I suspect you make it fun?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633734 by Tristan R

Nikon Shooter wrote: I did it one summer. Two runs on a cruise to the Arctic.
A chance to meet a lot of people, make contacts, and
the possibility to earn very well if one is clever.

I was then 20 years old and now I'm 23…

for the third time!  :rofl:

Oh wise one, teach me.  :) .

Seriously any tips you can share? 

Many thanks! 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633749 by Moe
If I was single and younger, i would do this in a heart beat!

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633762 by Frost Photography
I wouldn't go signing up for a 5 year run, but I would definitely give it a shot for 3 to 6 months.  That would be an adventure.  Figure out a cruise route that would be fun for you and go for it.  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633830 by Gammill
Heck yeah, I'm with Frost and Moe, if younger, single and didn't have work responsibilities already, I would jump on this and do it for a 3 or 6 month run.  I think much more than that, would get old for me.  Unless different cruise location.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633876 by Ozzie_Traveller

Tristan R wrote:

Did you do this, or are doing cruise ship photography?  You sound from experience, I was wondering about just how 'routine' things get and wonder how much creativity do you have.  I suspect you make it fun?

No - I had 1/2-hour over a cuppa with a girl who was employed to do it. She had no SLR camera experience beforehand, was shown the basics of using 'auto' & framing and "getting people to smile" and then she was into it.  Another pro I met elsewhere advised that "for a serious landscape sort of photographer, it would drive them nuts"
Phil

5 years 1 month ago #633947 by EOS Man
2-3 months is all I'd be able to handle as well.  Fun but I think the walls of the world would start to cave in for me.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634005 by Cristy Fields
OMG, I would be so ill after just a few weeks. When I'm on a cruise, just like driving, I can't be looking down at something or reading or I'll get sick.  I'd pass on this.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634039 by TGonzo
I'd be sicker than a dog, I don't do well on boats.  Sounds like it would be fun, could get claustrophobic after a short period of time.  Think about it, you're in the middle of the ocean and you can't go anywhere but the decks on that boat.  Nope.  Pass.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634079 by Roy Wilson
LOL if I was 35 years younger, perhaps!  These days, no. 

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634122 by GaryA

Ozzie_Traveller wrote:

Tristan R wrote:

No - I had 1/2-hour over a cuppa with a girl who was employed to do it. She had no SLR camera experience beforehand, was shown the basics of using 'auto' & framing and "getting people to smile" and then she was into it.  ...
Phil

^This^

Cruise lines don't consider photographic knowledge, expertise and skill as a valuable asset for the job.  I'd pass on any job which will hire a person with little regards for the job skills particular to the job title and responsibilities.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 1 month ago #634166 by Colorado Mike
Hey Tristan, PM just sent to you with some information.  My sister works for Carnival for last 14 years, that might help you.

Enjoy!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024