Nikon D850 took a nasty fall :(

5 years 2 weeks ago #634191 by Alex
Good example why you never want to use your camera out being attached to a strap.  While I say that I cringe at what happened.  I never not have my camera attached to one.  4 days ago while in Norway, I was climbing down these rocks to get a lower vantage point for a frame I was after.  I had my camera attached to my tripod via the ball head.  Normally my camera would still be attached to a strap with my hand wrapped around it while attached to tripod.  You know, just in case.  

This time, I didn't, and honestly I'm not sure what happened.  My guess is that I didn't seat the camera onto the ball head all the way, and that's when it fell 6 feet to these huge rocks!  The left side of the camera took most of the hit, pushing in the camera strap loop, bashing and twisting the main command dial and then scrapping up the right side. 

Bummer!

The silver lining is that the camera still worked.  

This was literally the first time I've not had my camera attached to a strap.  So, when you least expect it, or you get too comfortable, crap can happen!  

Make: Apple
Model: iPhone X
ISO: 64
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter speed: 1/15 sec

ISO: 64
ISO: 50

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 2 weeks ago #634198 by Ben Vanderbilt
OUCH!  Sorry to see that Alex

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #634201 by Cory J
That camera is done for.  Why don't you let me take it off your hands?  I'll do that for you.  :whistle:

Seriously that sucks.  Looks like that camera has a trip to the Nikon repair peeps soon!  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #634208 by Jennifer Krueger
What's wrong with the command dial?  I don't see much more than a small scratch on it?

I would cry if I dropped my camera.  Just imaging that impact should would send goose bumps up my spine.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #634214 by John Landolfi
Yup, it took dropping my F4s many years ago, because the strap was momentarily off my neck, to teach me religion about the strap. It's a tribute to Nikon build quality that the F4s, too, was unharmed, except for scratches.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #634218 by Toby J
Oh damn dude, that hurts me just looking at that.  Your lucky nothing else was damaged.  But for me, I never have used my camera with out a strap.  Nice bit of insurance to have.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #634219 by Stefan-Olsson
Look at the bright side....You were in beautiful Norway shooting photos:)

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #634221 by Carry

Stefan-Olsson wrote: Look at the bright side....You were in beautiful Norway shooting photos:)

I was going to say the same thing.  So any photos to share with us Alex?

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #634233 by ThatNikonGuy
Ha! Nikon tough and it keeps on going!!

:beerbang:

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #634286 by Don Granger
Thanks for sharing this story, I'm going to go and tighten my straps now!  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #634334 by ShutterPal
Yikes!  What do you have for a spare if that one dies on you?  How was the weather over there?  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #634463 by Nikon Shooter
It is the same with babies, dropping them makes a dad
feel bad… even when they don't get hurt!

I did not yet dropped a camera — nor a baby — but I feel
the adrenaline rush. All the best, Alex!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #634491 by Bill Rosen
I had to go to Google images and look up your cameras top view and I can now see how twisted that command button is.  Ouch is right!  And it still worked Alex?  Man you lucked out! 

When are you going to post some photos from your trip?

5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #634498 by GaryA
The first time really really sucks.  The second time really sucks.  After a while it just sucks.  That type of banging around happens all the time with news photogs.  Never buy any equipment off a photojournalist. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 weeks ago #634557 by Alex

Stefan-Olsson wrote: Look at the bright side....You were in beautiful Norway shooting photos:)

Bro, you got that right.  One of the most beautiful places I've photographed!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024