Why cameras still shoot in TIFF?

5 years 1 month ago #634356 by Chuck Liley
I just noticed TIFF as an option.  Why in the world are these files still offered on cameras.  I don't know about you, I've never used TIFF setting before.  These files are so huge. 

Anyone have idea why this is still offered?  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634391 by Barbara Fite
Perhaps for the sake of old legacy programs?  Got me.  Never used either.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634394 by Nikon Shooter

Chuck Liley wrote: Anyone have idea why this is still offered?  

Barbara is right, legacy it is but not because of programs but
because some users may not have access to modern converters.

Otherwise, Chuck, it remains only a marketing strategy: if it is
offered by other makers… better do it too. Non-sensical, IMO.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634622 by F Anderson
I'd bet not a single one photographer here has shot in TIFF in the last year.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634684 by garyrhook
TIFF is supported by a wide variety of imaging applications. It is lossless. At one time it would have been much more convenient than RAW.

The manufacturers probably have their reasons.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634704 by F Anderson

garyrhook wrote: TIFF is supported by a wide variety of imaging applications. It is lossless. At one time it would have been much more convenient than RAW.

How long ago was that?  Now I know I don't have the experience that many of you have.  But in all the photo meet ups I belong too, you always hear when discussed JPG and RAW.  Never once have I heard a single peep about TIFF.  So this must have been some time ago. Interesting to learn that it was preferred over RAW at one point.  That's the part I'm curious to know how long ago that was.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634709 by John-Pepp
I would guess that it might be beneficial if you are going directly to print? I know when I was going for my computer graphics degree that instructors said a lot of printers like working with TIFF files. I could be wrong though for my memory isn't what it used to be. :)

5 years 1 month ago #634766 by garyrhook

F Anderson wrote:

garyrhook wrote: TIFF is supported by a wide variety of imaging applications. It is lossless. At one time it would have been much more convenient than RAW.

How long ago was that?  Now I know I don't have the experience that many of you have.  But in all the photo meet ups I belong too, you always hear when discussed JPG and RAW.  Never once have I heard a single peep about TIFF.  So this must have been some time ago. Interesting to learn that it was preferred over RAW at one point.  That's the part I'm curious to know how long ago that was.  

TIFF was invented in 1992. I think my first cybershot only made JPGs. So an uncompressed file which didn't include vendor-specific elements, would have worked just fine in TIFF. And TIFF was pretty common about 25 years ago (yeah, you need to be old to really have a perspective on this stuff). About the time GIF was discovered to be inadequate for growth.

You can read all you like about the history of this stuff on the web. None of it's secret.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634767 by Nikon Shooter
Another point here…

Tiff is an image. As such, it is limited in the recorded information
— though in four channels — compared to RAW that is not an 
image but a collection of recorded data in a more reasonable size.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634863 by Tim Dordeck
Man, I forgot my camera even offered this as an option.  Got me on why its still there, beyond my normal use.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635138 by Overread
I was surprised to see the new Nikon Z series to have TIFF's included

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635201 by Chuck Liley

Overread wrote: I was surprised to see the new Nikon Z series to have TIFF's included

Yep, in the Z7 and not in the Z6.  I saw that on a spec sheet the other day.  It's software, so at least it doesn't take additional space or add weight to the cameras.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024