Why only Sony XQD Cards?

5 years 1 month ago #635171 by Cristy Fields
I was just noticing that when you do a search for XQD cards, it's mainly only Sony that is offering these cards.  Why is that and if these happen to be proprietary cards, why are some cameras using this card as the primary card?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635284 by garyrhook
That is a very good question.

My guess is that XQD was going to be the next big thing, until the CF people revised their spec (and form factor) to come up with CF Express. Which will equal or surpass XQD, I think.

With a firmware update, the Nikons will be able to use CFE cards, and we think that will happen.

The problem here is that it's relatively new technology, and is not yet ubiquitous. As we get more systems needing high speed storage we'll see more adoption, and hopefully more manufacturers.

I'm, frankly, annoyed that it is so difficult to acquire UHS-II cards or XQD cards, even now.

And I'm afraid that XQD is the new memory stick. I really hate Sony.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #635286 by Nikon Shooter

Cristy Fields wrote: it's mainly only Sony that is offering these cards.  

It is their creation… so patent applies!

Cristy Fields wrote: why are some cameras using this card as the primary card?

Personally. I use a Sony 128GB XQD in my D850 and I'm very
happy with it… mind you, like Gary says, they may be hard to
come by, I got mine two weeks after I got the camera and I'm
seriously happy I ordered and got two of them.

I use an XQD only in the D850 because the files are bigger and
it is the best way to go to support the buffer. The Sony reader
is Thunderbolt III and the transfer rate is stunningly fast.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635301 by Shadowfixer1
It really seems odd that Sony cameras don't use Sony XQD. 
5 years 1 month ago #635302 by Nikon Shooter

Shadowfixer1 wrote: It really seems odd that Sony cameras don't use Sony XQD. 

Why so, Randy?

None of the Sony products need to use such a card because the
file size is not so big or the frame rate and or the buffer do 
not justify it… or else!

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635306 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: It really seems odd that Sony cameras don't use Sony XQD. 

Why so, Randy?

None of the Sony products need to use such a card because the
file size is not so big or the frame rate and or the buffer do 
not justify it… or else!

You don't think the file sizes of an A7RIII or 7RII don't compare to Nikon file sizes? You may want to rethink that.
5 years 1 month ago #635308 by garyrhook
The Alpha 9 can capture 24MP images at 20 frames per second.

The Alpha 7R III shoots 47MP files at 10 fps.

Both of those produce more data than the D850 at 9 fps. Whether it (the a9) can store it to the card quickly is a design and software problem, but if it can't it's because Sony dropped the ball.

There are plenty of bodies now that capture large images and can benefit from getting them to the storage media as fast as possible.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635390 by Street Shark

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Cristy Fields wrote: it's mainly only Sony that is offering these cards.  

It is their creation… so patent applies!

Cristy Fields wrote: why are some cameras using this card as the primary card?

Personally. I use a Sony 128GB XQD in my D850 and I'm very
happy with it… mind you, like Gary says, they may be hard to
come by, I got mine two weeks after I got the camera and I'm
seriously happy I ordered and got two of them.

I use an XQD only in the D850 because the files are bigger and
it is the best way to go to support the buffer. The Sony reader
is Thunderbolt III and the transfer rate is stunningly fast.

So, with your D850 slinging out 42MP files, you are able to fit about 1250 photos on each card then?  

What sort of video time are you seeing at 4K?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635391 by Nikon Shooter
1250? I calculated more than 3000!
I don't do videos!

I don't intend to ever shoot on two cards but it is an
old reflex to backup everything… specially new things.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635398 by Street Shark

Nikon Shooter wrote: 1250? I calculated more than 3000!
I don't do videos!

I don't intend to ever shoot on two cards but it is an
old reflex to backup everything… specially new things.

I'm just winging some numbers, I'm driving my car right now.

Is that on EACH card shooting in RAW?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635401 by Nikon Shooter

Street Shark wrote: Is that on EACH card shooting in RAW?

Yes, RAW on both but the second is a SDXC card.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635406 by Fess Walker
Well this is interesting.  You see I remember seeing Lexar XQD cards, and just noticed they are discontinued now:  www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1186721-R...933x_xqd_memory.html

Anyone know what happened there?  Seems like these haven't been out long enough to be discontinued unless Lexar licensed the tech from Sony, and deal went bad?  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635414 by garyrhook

Street Shark wrote: So, with your D850 slinging out 42MP files, you are able to fit about 1250 photos on each card then?  

What sort of video time are you seeing at 4K?

Number of images depends upon the type of compression. The number you see in the display is worst case, and is recomputed as you go. Using lossless compress the files are about 60MB in size, so you'll get appr. 1000 or more on a 64GB card.

Video is limited by the license/codec. It's 30 minutes of HD, but I haven't bothered with 4k on that body, so can't say. Likely limited to between 10 and 20 minutes.

If you want unlimited 4k, you need to buy a dedicated video camera, or a body that can be hacked, like a Pany GH7.

Me, I think 4K quality is not good. I prefer HD.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635417 by garyrhook

Fess Walker wrote: Well this is interesting.  You see I remember seeing Lexar XQD cards, and just noticed they are discontinued now:  www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1186721-R...933x_xqd_memory.html

Anyone know what happened there?  Seems like these haven't been out long enough to be discontinued unless Lexar licensed the tech from Sony, and deal went bad?  

We know what happened; it's old news. Lexar went out of business, and some of the previous officers started up a new company. Hoping they decide to pick up this format and manufacture it.

Sony developed the format in league with Nikon and SanDIsk. Nikon should have known better. Or gotten a commitment from SanDisk to manufacture cards. Hoping they move to CFE by the end of the year and blow off XQD.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635447 by Ken Brun
I'm just catching up on this.  Why did Sandisk not make these?  I don't suppose that is known?  These cards are pricey.  You would expect anyone else would see a market opportunity seeing that Sony seems to have this space all to themselves.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024