Why only Sony XQD Cards?

4 days 19 hours ago #635474 by ShutterPal
Hey Gary, where are you finding details about this regarding  SanDisk?   I can only find an old article from 2012:  https://www.cnet.com/news/sandisk-on-new-xqd-memory-card-format-meh/  

I'd like to read more about this.  Kind of interesting! 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 days 15 hours ago #635572 by garyrhook

Ken Brun wrote: I'm just catching up on this.  Why did Sandisk not make these?  I don't suppose that is known?  These cards are pricey.  You would expect anyone else would see a market opportunity seeing that Sony seems to have this space all to themselves.  

You don't have a market opportunity until you have a market. And Nikon is the only company using them (so far).

SanDisk invented CF, and was involved in the XQD development. We probably have them to thank for a form factor that matches CFE, and they probably saw an opportunity to develop a format that wouldn't be controlled by Sony. Or that was part of their agreement with Sony and Nikon. Who knows?

The Canon EOS R uses SD-format and support UHS-II. Which is just fine for 4K @ 30fps. The Sony A7R uses SD-format and memory stick. You'd think they'd learned their lesson, but I guess not.

You can google a bit, but there's not much (yet) to find. It will take some time for XQD and/or CFE to get into new products. The one thing we can be sure of is that larger image sizes and greater video speeds will drive the adoption of faster storage technology. As I said above, I think CFE will win, and if Nikon and update firmware to accommodate it, we don't risk anything with their new bodies.

I could be wrong.

Photo Comments

4 days 9 hours ago #635599 by Sharna Lee
So would you advice NOT to buy a camera that has just XQD card slot in it?  

Photo Comments

4 days 9 hours ago #635601 by Nikon Shooter

Sharna Lee wrote: So would you advice NOT to buy a camera that has just XQD card slot in it?  

Sure I would.

The card has performed intensively and flaw-
lessly for well over a year of daily usage.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

3 days 17 hours ago #635680 by garyrhook

Sharna Lee wrote: So would you advice NOT to buy a camera that has just XQD card slot in it?  

I don't offer advice. I share anecdotes and observations.

I will be acquiring a Nikon D850 in a few months, and will be forced to buy at least two XQD cards for it. I have lots of SD cards that I can continue to use, thanks to the buffering within the D850. I hope that Nikon implements firmware to support CFE at some point, and the cost of cards drops.

As for a single slot, I think the uproar is overdone. That said, two slots for pro-ish bodies should be a given, simply because it's possible. The cost, however, is greater, because XQD is a PCI device (think add-in card for a computer) so there's more required in hardware and software. Which would increase the price. So, it's complicated.

Cards and card slots rarely fail. And pros should have two bodies in critical situations. Because, you know, stuff happens.

Photo Comments

3 days 17 hours ago #635683 by Don Granger
True, but at least that D850 has one SD slot, which means you won't need to rush out and get a XQD card right away.  

Photo Comments

3 days 15 hours ago #635714 by Nikon Shooter

Don Granger wrote: True, but at least that D850 has one SD slot, which means you won't need to rush out and get a XQD card right away.  

The SD is specifically a SDXC… but then again,
you'd use only one card.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

1 day 17 hours ago #635955 by Greg Friedman
Man those cards are expensive!

Photo Comments

1 day 1 hour ago #636054 by Cory J
Not true, Delkin Devices has the XQD cards

https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=delkin+devices+xqd+card

Photo Comments

5 hours 55 minutes ago #636196 by Pete Franko
Have you ever used a Delkin card?  I know they have been around for long time, just never used any of their cards.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Recommended Gear

Forum Top Posters