Why only Sony XQD Cards?

5 years 1 month ago #635474 by ShutterPal
Hey Gary, where are you finding details about this regarding  SanDisk?   I can only find an old article from 2012:  https://www.cnet.com/news/sandisk-on-new-xqd-memory-card-format-meh/  

I'd like to read more about this.  Kind of interesting! 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635572 by garyrhook

Ken Brun wrote: I'm just catching up on this.  Why did Sandisk not make these?  I don't suppose that is known?  These cards are pricey.  You would expect anyone else would see a market opportunity seeing that Sony seems to have this space all to themselves.  

You don't have a market opportunity until you have a market. And Nikon is the only company using them (so far).

SanDisk invented CF, and was involved in the XQD development. We probably have them to thank for a form factor that matches CFE, and they probably saw an opportunity to develop a format that wouldn't be controlled by Sony. Or that was part of their agreement with Sony and Nikon. Who knows?

The Canon EOS R uses SD-format and support UHS-II. Which is just fine for 4K @ 30fps. The Sony A7R uses SD-format and memory stick. You'd think they'd learned their lesson, but I guess not.

You can google a bit, but there's not much (yet) to find. It will take some time for XQD and/or CFE to get into new products. The one thing we can be sure of is that larger image sizes and greater video speeds will drive the adoption of faster storage technology. As I said above, I think CFE will win, and if Nikon and update firmware to accommodate it, we don't risk anything with their new bodies.

I could be wrong.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635599 by Sharna Lee
So would you advice NOT to buy a camera that has just XQD card slot in it?  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635601 by Nikon Shooter

Sharna Lee wrote: So would you advice NOT to buy a camera that has just XQD card slot in it?  

Sure I would.

The card has performed intensively and flaw-
lessly for well over a year of daily usage.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635680 by garyrhook

Sharna Lee wrote: So would you advice NOT to buy a camera that has just XQD card slot in it?  

I don't offer advice. I share anecdotes and observations.

I will be acquiring a Nikon D850 in a few months, and will be forced to buy at least two XQD cards for it. I have lots of SD cards that I can continue to use, thanks to the buffering within the D850. I hope that Nikon implements firmware to support CFE at some point, and the cost of cards drops.

As for a single slot, I think the uproar is overdone. That said, two slots for pro-ish bodies should be a given, simply because it's possible. The cost, however, is greater, because XQD is a PCI device (think add-in card for a computer) so there's more required in hardware and software. Which would increase the price. So, it's complicated.

Cards and card slots rarely fail. And pros should have two bodies in critical situations. Because, you know, stuff happens.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635683 by Don Granger
True, but at least that D850 has one SD slot, which means you won't need to rush out and get a XQD card right away.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635714 by Nikon Shooter

Don Granger wrote: True, but at least that D850 has one SD slot, which means you won't need to rush out and get a XQD card right away.  

The SD is specifically a SDXC… but then again,
you'd use only one card.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635955 by Greg Friedman
Man those cards are expensive!

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #636054 by Cory J
Not true, Delkin Devices has the XQD cards

https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=delkin+devices+xqd+card

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #636196 by Pete Franko
Have you ever used a Delkin card?  I know they have been around for long time, just never used any of their cards.  

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #636294 by The Gardener
Still surprised that SanDisk hasn't jumped in on these cards.   

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #636523 by EOS Man
How many cameras came out this year with XQD card slots in them as the primary?  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
5 years 3 weeks ago #636640 by garyrhook
This year? I believe two: The Nikon Z6 and Z7.

No one else is using XQD AFAICT. Not even Sony in the a7 III.

#againwiththeeyerolls

The a7R is only 36MP and 4 fps, comparable to the D810, which didn't use high speed media.

No one else has specs comparable to the D850, which I would characterize as the having the greatest requirements on media speed at this time.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024