Why do photographers do this?

5 years 1 month ago #636524 by Cara Wilkins
Over the years, including yesterday, when I meet up with other photographers to go shooting.  You always have one who will literally follow every step you take and take the same exact shot you took.  Like when you move, they are right there moving in on the exact same spot.  Personally I like to TRY to find my own vantage points.   And while it's tough at times, I try.  

I just think being lazy never gets you anywhere.  I've been tempted so many times to say something, however I keep my mouth shut and remain polite.  

I don't know, am I wrong to be  bothered by this?  If you go out of your way, off the beaten path to try to find something that might be unique, and you have a shadow that copies all your shots.  Would that bother you?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #636527 by Troponin
I rarely get out in groups when I shoot. My time out is usually for the purpose of being alone.

Normally I would say “Imitation is the best form of flattery”, but I also think some folks just have some wires crossed when it comes to social atmospheres. In their mind, they might be trying to see what you are seeing because they feel absolutely lost, but don’t quite understand the social dynamics and how this can come across as annoying or maybe even rude. In photography, it can come across even more so considering it can feel like the person is trying to “steal” your creative ideas. 

I have an idea. Next time someone keeps following and copying your every move, do something just a little weird, then see if they do it. Each time, get just a little more ridiculous. See what awkward positions and situations you can get them in to until they realize your messing with them. HAHA!

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #636547 by Nikon Shooter
When on location with students, I observed that some
do behave that way… I don't worry.

They may be eager to see not what but how you see,
and reflect later on if it is relevant to them, or not… as
others have minds of their own and go their way.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #636637 by garyrhook

Cara Wilkins wrote: I don't know, am I wrong to be  bothered by this?  If you go out of your way, off the beaten path to try to find something that might be unique, and you have a shadow that copies all your shots.  Would that bother you?

I don't know that one can draw conclusions, so I don't know that it's always going to be laziness. That said...

Depends on my intent. If I had someone being chatty, and tagging along, and I was feeling chatty, then it wouldn't bother me at all. What they do or do not do (do-bee-do-bee-doo) has nothing to do with me.

However, if I was feeling loner-ish, and had a shadow, I'd start with "I think I'm going to go over here by myself now and see what I can find. Talk to you later!" Followed by a stronger "I'd prefer to be alone for a while, please" as needed. Keeping in mind that some people are really slow to pick up on social cues, even overt ones.

But that's just me.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
5 years 1 month ago #636650 by Ken Brun
When it comes to shooting, I find myself more of a solo shooter.  I've always been somewhat introverted and have been working on getting out of my shell.  

Regarding the shadow, yeah that might push my buttons.  Gary had some good response that I would likely try if I had someone following.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #636690 by Jared-Weaver
I've found the best deterrent to a copycat is cold weather, deep water or a long hike. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #636844 by Joe Vertz
Well there are plenty of followers out there who don't know any better.  They don't know where the lines are.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #636938 by Alfonso Camil
If I'm being honest, when I got started, I was doing that at the meetup groups.  I was always following the senior photographers, learning from what sort of shots they took.  I meant no harm by it.  

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #637055 by Howard T
Well I'm not very social able when I have a camera in my hand with the intent of taking photos.  I'm really a solo shooter.  I don't like to talk to others when I'm out.  I've always been that way, I feel more in the zone when it's just me and my camera.   How do you feel when someone is talking with you during a movie?  Are you able to 100% follow the movie conversing to someone else?  

So I don't even allow something like this to take place.  "I'll going to jump off to do my thing, I'll meet you back here at (time)/later.  

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #637129 by Inez Villarin
That is all nice and politically correct to say.  But it could very easily be the person is just lazy.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #637166 by spudalicious
I am a social idiot.  The idea of shooting with a group is unappealing and frightening on quite a few levels for me.   

That being said, I do enjoy hanging out with another photographer from time to time.   I actually think it's cool when we duplicate shots.  It interest me to see how differently we view the same subject.   How camera settings and image processing can change the entire feel of a location.    It is amazing to see a the vision of a different artist.  Sometimes the photo buddy learns something from me, sometimes, I from them.   

Each to their own though.   Like I mentioned, I avoid the group dynamic.  I don't have a lot of room to talk.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #637171 by Troponin
 I think the difference is simply having a quick chat with the person before you do it.  This breaks the ice and helps  make a situation a lot less awkward. If somebody were to approach you and simply say “hey,  i’m not quite sure what I’m doing, so do you mind if I tag along with you for a little?“.  For those of us who are a bit more socially savvy, we can usually spot the folks that will receive that request much more pleasantly too. Sometimes I will just say hello to someone to test the waters. How they respond to a simple hello can tell you a lot

Being at a social event, doing social things, but not actually saying anything makes for a very awkward situation. 

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #637176 by garyrhook

Inez Villarin wrote: That is all nice and politically correct to say.  But it could very easily be the person is just lazy.

Yeah, when did it become "politically correct" to be kind? (Possible irony here notwithstanding...) We only want to have patience in dealing with someone if they're not perceived as lazy? I wish.

Someone else's motivation is not my issue; how I conduct myself is my issue, and I do not believe that it is (or ever has been) PC to send "I" messages, be considerate, or encouraging.

In my not so humble opinion.

I could be wrong.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #637305 by Crammer

spudalicious wrote: I am a social idiot.  The idea of shooting with a group is unappealing and frightening on quite a few levels for me.   

That being said, I do enjoy hanging out with another photographer from time to time.   I actually think it's cool when we duplicate shots.  It interest me to see how differently we view the same subject.   How camera settings and image processing can change the entire feel of a location.    It is amazing to see a the vision of a different artist.  Sometimes the photo buddy learns something from me, sometimes, I from them.   

Each to their own though.   Like I mentioned, I avoid the group dynamic.  I don't have a lot of room to talk.

I'm completely on the same page with you.  Even when I go to a meetup group, once everyone starts to head out to location, I separate myself from the pack till the shoot is completed.   I just don't see the point of talk as it distracts from the reason why I'm there.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024